Chapter 28 - Edward's Past.2

"Edward, you're too young to get married."

"Mom, it's the right thing to do."

"Are you really sure? Do you love Jessica? Do you love her enough to spend the rest of your life with her? Marriage should not to be taken lightly. Fatherhood is one thing and marriage is another. Don't confuse that the two are one and the same. It could be, but only if your heart and mind are in agreement."

___________________________________

"Ma'am, here's your order. One watermelon shake and clubhouse sandwich. Sir, here's your coke in can and a slice of cake. Enjoy your food!" The waiter happily served our food and then, he left.

"Wow, cake!"

"It's for you. Go ahead. My story will take some time."

"Okay!"

"So, to continue, Jessica and I became best of friends. She was my voice of reason. Everyone thought that there was more to our relationship but it was purely platonic. I regarded her as the girl version of my bestfriend in grade school. The one who fought my battles. The one who saved me from the bullies and the one who taught me how to fight back. He was the catalyst of my change."

"And then?"

"Until one night when we had a drink too many. We slept together or I thought we did and I got her pregnant. I even offered marriage to her despite of my parents' lack of support to my decision. I should have listened to them from the start."

"Why?"

"Because the Jessica I knew was all a lie. She befriended me to gain my trust. I had no clue that she was obsessed with me. The night we slept together? Nothing happened. She slipped a pill in my drink and staged it like something happened between us. The pregnancy was also made up."

"Oh my God! I'm sorry, Babe."

"There's nothing for you to be sorry for."

"Hindi. Napaka-insensitive ko. Ginawa kong joke yun."

"It's okay. You didn't know. All you knew is that my ex had a pregnancy scare."

"Kahit na. I'm still sorry, Babe."

"It's okay. I'm sorry, too. I overreacted."

Maymay put her hand on top of mine. And like always, it gave me comfort. I continued with my story.

"Good thing I discovered her lies before it was too late. My mom hired a detective to prove to me that my decision was wrong. That I was impulsive."

"And?"

"At first, I didn't believe my mom. That Jessica's supposedly maternity check-up and result were falsified. But then, one day, I heard Jessica bragging about the pregnancy with her friends. Friends I didn't know existed. I thought I was her only friend. She was even proud of duping me. I was a fool!"

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Edward. Hindi mo alam."

"I should know better."

___________________________________

"Is it true?"

"I'm sorry, Edward! I did it because I love you!"

"How could you, Jessica! I was ready to change my life for you. But it was all a lie. You made me feel all those things for what? Because you love me? You don't love me, Jessica. You only love yourself."

"Please, Edward.
I love you so much."

"Leave me alone. Go! Now!
You're dead to me."

___________________________________

"Little did I know, that that same night, she would commit suicide."

"My God!"

"I felt responsible for that. I could have confronted her in a peaceful manner. I could have done things in a different way. You know, the irony of it all, the bestfriend I told you about that protected me? He is Jessica's brother. They're twins. I didn't see the resemblance because they're fraternal twins. And I didn't know about her because they live in separate homes."

"Ha? Grabe naman yang buhay mo. Gusto mo pa bang ituloy yang kwento mo?" She asked me but I could see tears forming in her eyes.

"It's for the best. Parang purging. One time, big time. How about you, Babe? Kaya mo pa ba?"

"For you, Babe. Kayang-kaya." She said eventhough I knew that she was hurting for me. My girl had a soft heart. My cry baby.

___________________________________

"I'm sorry, Josh. If only I knew this would happen..."

"Edward, it wasn't your fault. She's sick. We, her family, should have done the right thing from the start. What she needed."

"I should have known better. I was her best friend. What should I do now?"

"Nothing. It's up to us, her family, to take care of her."

___________________________________

"Her family sent her to a psychiatric rehab center after she was discharged from the hospital. That was the last time I saw Jessica. After that incident, my parents decided I needed a change of scenery. A new beginning."

"Wala ka ng balita sa kanya?"

"A few months before I left, Josh had contacted me. He told me that Jessica was getting better. That's it. When I left, the communication was gone, too."

"Hindi mo na kinontak si Josh or Jessica?"

"Truthfully, when I left, I felt like I had to leave everything behind, too. Except my family, of course. Yeah. I moved on. And no, I didn't dare to contact them anymore. I had to close that part of my life. I needed to. And to be able to do that, I cut ties with them."

"So, hindi nila alam na nandito ka na?"

"Probably. I don't know."

"Okay."

"That's it? That was your response to everything that I told you?"

"What do you want me to say? That it was your fault all along?"

"Well, not really..."

"Because it's not. Victim ka rin. What's important is that you took that experience to heart and change yourself, for the best siguro. Hindi ka na bullied kid at hindi ka na rin bad boy ngayon. You picked all the good traits from those versions of you. So, this new Edward we know and love, was also those versions minus the bad. Ganun naman talaga. Nagbabago tayong lahat. Minsan nga lang, yung iba, for worse."

"I really am lucky to have you. I love you so much!"

"Good. Order ka pa ng cake, bitin eh."

Some things never change but for me, I love this version of you, Maymay.