Mate Convention (feels)

It was mating season. And as was customary I had come in my animal form and was looking around for any sign of my mate.

I trotted around in my mancoon cat form. Fluffy brown and black tail swishing behind me as my big paws pitter pattered along the ground of the expansive hall. My large ears were perked up to attention as my pupils constricted in the bright light.

I continued going around, seeing mates hooking up as I searched for my own. All I knew was I was looking for a massive wolf breed that had thick fur that was black and grey with some hints of white.

As time drew on I grew more and more hopeless. Maybe my mate would be a no show. Maybe they had seen enough glimpses of me in our shared dreams and didn't want me... Maybe I wasn't good enough for them.

My tail slowed and my ears dropped a tad as I started heading out to a reclusive area of the building. I was able to find an empty hallway where I decided to lay down. My mate should have had plenty of time to find me by now. I would have sensed him by now.

But he was nowhere to be found.

I let my eyes close as I decided I'd try again tomorrow... thankfully they had this happen for several days... it could just be he couldn't find me... that breathtaking male with the gorgeous figure I had only seen between trees in my dreams.

Exiting the building at closing time I was feeling a little bit better, but not by much.

(Time skip)

I eagerly waited in the wild cats section, waiting for my mate to show himself, knowing that it was the day where submissives' went into sections by their species type. The dominates were supposed to come and find them. I made small talk with some of the others in the group with me, until they all started to leave of course.

One by one they left. And by mid day I was one of the only five left. Me and the other four shared nervous looks... but sure enough their mates came... and I was the only one. I stayed all day, desperately waiting, and waiting, and waiting... and waiting.

But he never came.

I got home and slammed my apartment door, tears running down my face as I sobbed openly. My roomies tried to comfort me, but I felt so alone. They were such a cute mated couple. A wild African dog with a bengal tiger... they were absolutely amazing together.

(Time skip)

They convinced me to go to the final day. The day where the submissives' search for their mates who were waiting in their sections.

I headed straight for the wolf section

And I spotted him.

I ran over with an excited grin on my face. "Finally! You're here-" I stopped myself short as I drew closer.

Something wasn't right.

Their eyes widened, they had red patches all along their fur coat... my mate had ones like those but in white. "No way, Jared look," he says nudging another wolf who looked very similar to him, but had blue spots. Their eyes widened as well. "No way..."

"N-neither of you are my mate," I whisper softly as my tail sags to the ground. Disappointment evident in my voice.

"No but-"

"I'm- I'm sorry for wasting your time," I mumble as I start to feel tears coming into my eyes. Turning around I run smack into the chest of a brown bear. I squeak and back up.

They growl down at me. "Stay away from my mate," they say before racing over to the blue speckled one. I see a sly female fox approaching the red one who smiles fondly and licks their cheek.