Chapter 02 Rachel Vomits Green Mist

Chapter 02

Rachel Vomits Green Mist

Annabeth

Selene, goddess of the moon. That was a first. There wasn’t even a cabin for Selene.  Emma stopped in her tracks and looked up to boggle, just like me, at the full moon hanging over her head. She leaned to the side so her head wasn’t directly under the moon but then the moon followed her so that she was directly under it. She reached up and attempted to swat at it but the moon bobbed and swerved out of her reach.

“What is it?”

“A sign.”

“From…?”

“You mother, Selene.”

“Who?”

“Selene, goddess of the moon. Daughter of Hyperion and Theia. She is actually the moon itself. She drives her moon chariot across the sky every night.”

“So I’m actually a demigod then?”

“Yes.”

“Where are my brothers and sisters then?”

“There are no known offspring of Selene except of the ones in ancient history. We don’t even have a cabin for her.”

“What?”

“Oh yeah. This place is a camp called Camp Half-Blood and all of the demigods live here year-round or most of the time. The children of different gods each have a cabin dedicated to their godly parent.”

“Okay then.” Emma murmured, “So my mom is Selene?”

“Yes.”

“Now what?”

“We go back to see Chiron.”

“The horse dude?”

“Centaur is the politically correct term.”

“Sintar?”

“Cent tar.” I corrected making sure to emphasize each syllable. I grabbed Emma’s hand and towed her towards the Big House. I was running at full speed and was literally dragging Emma behind me. What did this mean? How come she is the only child of Selene for thousands of years? Was this perky little girl going to be traumatized by some stupid quest? WHERE WAS PERCY??? He could have helped me with this, and it would be kind of nice to have one of my long known friends with me to help me drag this girl to Chiron.

The Big House was in the distance and Emma was saying something that I couldn’t hear and I didn’t care,  I needed to get her to Chiron immediately.  

My  vision zoomed in on the Big House only to see Percy leaning on the front porch waiting for me, “Percy?”

“Yeah.”

“WHERE IN OLYMPUS WERE YOU????”

“Bunker 9. Leo dragged me in there because he wanted to show me his new invention. It’s a flying shoe polisher. That’s why my sneakers are covered in dirt.”

“WHY DIDN’T YOU COME LOOKING FOR ME???”

“I figured that this was the best spot to look. Sorry that it took so long. So who’s your new friend?”

“DON’T YOU TRY TO DISTRACT ME PERCY!”

“I love you Annabeth??”

I marched to the door and grabbed Percy’s hand with my  free hand. “NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!” I screamed in anger. Rushing at Percy, I grabbed his wrist, and flipped him over onto the ground.

“Wow.” Emma stepped back.

“Oh,” I sighed. “ this my boyfriend.”

Percy whimpered on the ground like a cowed dog. It was a noise an animal would make when it was trying to avoid being punished again. I  felt a twinge of sympathy,

“Oh, well” Emma sighed.

“Seriously,who is that?”  Percy questioned picking himself off from the ground limping slightly. I marched to the door and grabbed Percy’s hand with my free hand,

“A daughter of Selene has come to Camp Half-Blood.”

“Let’s pretend I don’t know who Selene is…”

“Selene is the goddess of the moon but as far as we know she hasn’t had children for centuries.”

“As far as we know… a child of Selene popping up out of nowhere is a bad thing?”

“Maybe. This is a big change.”

“What cabin is she going to go to?”

“Well the moon goddesses are usually associated with both Artemis and Hecate, so I guess we let her choose.”

“Well that sucks.”

“To be alone without anyone you can relate with must be torture.” I sighed. Percy squeezed my hand,

“HEY YOU KNOW I’M STILL HERE RIGHT???” Emma glared. Then I thought about what this must look like to her. Judging from the way he was holding my hand it must look like we were about to kiss.

“Oh. Sorry Emma. We need to get you to Chiron!” I marched to Chiron’s office and opened the door but instead of Chiron behind it there was Rachel sitting on a wooden stool spilling green mist.

“You shall travel far to the East,

And face Gaea in Greece.

The one you love will go to rest,

Bearing the sign of Eurymedon crest.

Running towards the Thrones of Stone,

Shattered for life, all alone.

Father of a sacrifice,

Her head is cut with a final price.

She will never find her home,

And forever be encased in Rome.”

That was Emma’s limit. She collapsed just as Chiron walked through the door and managed to catch her. The green fog receded back into Rachel’s mouth, and Rachel returned to her old self.

“What happened?” Then Rachel saw Emma on the floor. “She’s glowing!”

It was true. Emma’s California tan skin changed to a glowing pearly white. Her hair grew 10 inches and turned to a blinding shade of white blonde, and her ratty jean jacket and torn leggings flourished into a beautiful white gown that sparkled with light. We  were standing in the presence of the moon itself.