Chapter 26 Once You Go Purple You Never Go Back

Chapter 26

Once You Go Purple You Never Go Back

Annabeth

Agh, my thumb hurts! Me and Percy have been walking through the woods, we’re getting really close to camp now. But dang, I wish had some ambrosia on me. We had popped up from the ocean half an hour ago, so far little to no resistance from Poseidon. But Percy and I both knew that there was going to be a big storm tonight. I was cradling my thumb to my chest when Percy asked,

“So, what happened to your hand anyway?” His eyebrows were furrowed with concern, “I didn’t do that, right?” I almost laughed at him. Almost.

“No, Seaweed Brain, you didn’t. They tied me up and blindfolded me, so I had to break my thumb to wiggle free.” I told the whole story, Percy looked outraged when I told him about how they planned to put me into hibernation.

“I’ll never forgive him. Never. Anyone who hurts you deserves-”

“Jeez Percy, Poseidon sort of did that to protect you. I guess.” I never thought I would be the one defending Poseidon. I hated him in the pit of my stomach too. But Percy keep getting these rage issue things. Like in Tartarus when he wanted to kill Aklys. I’d never see him like that before. But now it just seem to be happening more often. Like whenever we capture-the-flag Percy always plays on the front lines when he usually hangs back in defense. Or even when we have to kill monsters from the forest, Percy shows no mercy, he chops them into little pieces. Even Jason with electrocuting Percy...what is it with boys lately? Seriously! “It’s nice that you’re always there trying to protect me but you have to remember that I am perfectly capable to taking care of myself.” His features relaxed.

“That’s true. But what were you going to do if I hadn’t been there?”

“I made a knife out of shell. I was going to stab my guards and demand to see Poseidon. Pretty much force him to let me go. You know I know my way around a knife.” Percy nodded. But the Percy I loved seemed kind of distant right now.

We walked in silence. The camp came into view as the woods disappeared to our backs. My first impression, purple. Hmm. The Romans must have arrived. Ew, that meant I had to deal with Octavian again.

“Romans.” Percy murmured, “They’re here.” He muttered something I didn’t hear. Purple SPQR banners were everywhere. They must be like a marching parade when traveling. The idea that Hazel, Frank, and Nico are back make me happy. Even if my thumb hurts. It’s great to have the girls back together. Even Reyna, maybe she’ll become a part of our circle. I just have to see if that iron curtain between us can be removed.

I heard yelling. As Percy and I drew closer, I began to make out the chant, “FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!” I looked at Percy, we both had the same expression: Oh no. Percy grabbed my good hand and we ran towards the chanting.

“You Romans are a stick in the mud. Time you learned a lesson.” Oh no. I know that voice, Clarisse. Naturally she’d be the one to start a fight.

“We rally on discipline. Maybe I can teach you some!” Some random Roman dude said. I had no doubt who would win if we let them fight. Of course there was no way I was going to let that happen.