Chapter 27 It's Complicated

Chapter 27

It’s Complicated

Sam

“I honestly don’t get the whole Greek vs. Roman thing. We’re all demigods after all. Does it really matter whose parent is Greek and whose parent is Roman? Those are your parents. You should be able to be your own individual. Whether you decide to follow your parents mistakes, is your decision. Through the past centuries we have made mistakes, but we should be able to push past that, right? That was ended because we could get along. And we didn’t get along because we chose to follow the path that our parents have lead for us. Just because the gods have their flaws doesn’t mean that we have to be as flawed as they are. We know the stories, the jealousy, the misunderstandings, the wrongs that our parents have committed. They won’t deny this. Why do we all have to be too stubborn to admit? Why can’t for once we just think? For a second? The world is coming to an end and all you can think about is our differences? And honestly a little more discipline during harsh times would be very much appreciated. The Romans are here to help us and-” Someone emerged through the crowd.

“Do as Annabeth says.” A girl adorned in armor marched forward, “Romans and Greeks, we should both know better than this. That is to be respected and obeyed. Am I correct?” Clarisse muttered,

“Take your stupid respect and shove it right up your-”

“Am I right Clarisse?” She insisted, glaring all the way down into the depths of Clarisse’s soul, “Your father wants you to be a leader not a follower, right? How are you supposed to rise to the top if you are starting fights and not earning anything? He would be ashamed.”

“You don’t know my father at all.” Clarisse remained quiet after that.

“Romans, go to the Big House and follow Chiron’s command for housing.” The Romans muttered but slouched away. Some big tall asian guy tackled Leo. I didn’t know if this was an act of offense or not, but Armor Girl waved it off.

My head is spinning, ugh, so where did all of these people come from? Sure I knew they were Romans, they had banners and stuff advertising it. Otherwise I knew pretty much nothing, except Clarisse got in a fight and now Annabeth was pissed, but for some reason the Armor girl knew her and took her side for reasons unknown.

“Hey Sam.” Gwen shoved her way past me. What was her problem? At least she wasn’t making me run to the roof for cover. She stopped abruptly when she saw Annabeth and Percy hugging some dude with an army jacket and black hair. “Nico?” Gwen whirled around to face me and ran away with tears in her eyes. I didn’t really want to get involved at this point, and girls must get really mad when they’re sad don’t they? I decided to follow her just to make sure that she was okay.

~

“Wait...you know that guy? Like, from before?” Me and Gwen were sitting next to each other, I bumped into her back at the cabin and she told me to sit down, she said that she needed to vent and I was going to be her guinea pig. So far being a guinea pig didn’t suck so bad.

“His name is Nico di’ Angelo. Yeah, sort of. I knew him before he so called ‘moved’. At least that’s what my dad called it. We were friends, sort of. I was more friends with his older sister. I was kind of a wanna-be because I was Nico’s age. She always politely told to me to go away but I always tagged along. Even if it meant never actually talking much to her. I did talk to Nico though,” She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear,

“He made me laugh. We used to play Mythomagic together while Bianca was out. When we were 9 we had our first ‘serious’ conversation. What he said was, ‘I know guy and girl friendships can be awkward and weird, but we’re both tough, right?’ I had smiled, but I didn’t have much to say. I think maybe deep down, maybe, I hated the friend-zone. I wanted out of it. But I didn’t want to overstep anything. So I left it be. But we had a big argument when we were 10. I kind of confessed, I didn’t like the friend-zone. He took it the wrong way. He got upset, he scared me for the first time. He seemed to glow darkness. I backed away, but I tripped and I got this,” She pointed to a fading red scar on her forearm, “It was a glass vase. Took me a few hours to pull out all of the glass shards. But when I looked back at Nico he looked scared. Not of me, but more of himself. I ran away, I actually cried really hard. I scolded myself for it later. No one cries over something as stupid as boys, right?” She looked at me as if I knew for sure. I didn’t know if I had actually made anyone cry before. But….maybe…..