18

Alpha Sam

Ever since the rogue attack last week I haven't been able to see Eclipse as much as I have wanted to. I also still can't believe the lasagne burnt in the oven. Stupid rogues having to attack. I was looking forward to it.

I've been speaking with a few Alpha's of neighbouring packs and working on improving our border security. And because of this I've had to had guards stay with Eclipse. I can't have her by herself at all anymore, not after what happened.

Eclipse is at her lesson with Rita at the moment. She was acting weird when I was with her and Rita, she seemed to cling onto me more, not that I was complaining about that.

I saw that it was coming up to the end of Eclipse's lesson, so I quickly finished off my work before heading over to Rita's room. I lightly knocked on the door before letting myself in.

My eyes scanned the room before resting on Eclipse's figure hunched over a desk, writing something. I smiled at her before looking over at Rita who had turned her head to look at me once I walked in.

"How's everything going?" I asked Rita. Hearing my voice Eclipse's head shot up in my direction. She instantly got up and smiled, waving the piece of paper that she had previously been writing on.

I looked down at the paper and smiled proudly. She had written a whole load of sentences. I know that for her age this wasn't something to be overly proud of but with Eclipse's background and can't help but feel proud of her.

"This is amazing, you're learning fast" I gave her a small hug.

"It wasn't hard to teach her those since she already had some knowledge on sentence building" Rita spoke up.

"Thank you so much for this. I'll be sure to write you a killer reference once you guys are finished" I know of Rita wanting to get into teaching when she is done with school.

"Why don't we go down for lunch?" I asked looking down at Eclipse, who nodded her head eagerly. As we headed down I couldn't help but notice Rita follow after us, making sure that she kept a distance from Eclipse and I. I decided to brush it off thinking that I must be seeing it wrong.

We served our already made chicken wings onto our plates before sitting down at the kitchen table. A few other pack members were sitting down eating lunch too but I payed no attention to them. I looked over at Eclipse on the other hand and laughed out loud. She had half a chicken wing in her mouth and another one in her hand getting ready to shove it in as well.

Chicken wings are not only amazing in taste but also very good in the sense of protein. And that is what Eclipse needs at the moment. I can see that she is close to being able to shift into her wolf which is amazing.

"Careful, I don't want you to choke" I quickly reached my hand out and grabbed a hold of her arm which held one of the chicken wings.

She gulped down her chicken and nodded. She started to take smaller bites.

Eclipse

The classes with Rita continued on for another week, me going to see her every other day. She was getting weirder and weirder each time. Not in the sense of her creeping me out but in the sense of her asking weird questions.

I haven't told Sam yet because this might just be something that all wolves do that I just missed out because of my unfortunate upbringing.

"Let's take a small break. How about you tell me about your relationship with Alpha Sam?" She asked suddenly after making me write out a few sentences of random words.

I shrugged my shoulders not knowing whether I should or not.

"You can trust me, plus, everyone talks about their mates all the time to each other. It's normal. I'm just curious to find out how my Alpha and my soon to be Luna are doing" She explained. I contemplated it for another second before nodding my head.

"So has she marked you yet?" She asked. I was taken aback by the bluntness of her question, but I brushed it off thinking this was normal.

I shook my head no and watched her mouth twitch into a small smirk before her face turned into one of shock.

"Really?" She asked in disbelief. All I could do was nod my head. Was this not normal in mates?

"Oh that's completely normal, mates don't usually mark each other until after months of knowing each other" She said. She had a different tone in her voice, and she was fidgeting a bit but I brushed it off thinking she was just hungry.

"What about mating?" She asked. I raised an eyebrow. I don't think I've been told what mating is. If I have I have forgotten.

"Sex" She told me again, with a look of shock. Sex? Oh. Sex. I remember people from my old pack always talking about it. Especially the males.

I frantically shook my head. Me and Sam have definitely not done that.

She smiled the weird smile again "Good. I mean that's fine, not a lot of mates have sex after knowing each other for a couple of months" She started to rub her hands together again.

I took in all the information and smiled. At least I wasn't being a burden to Alpha Sam. I would hate to hold her back on mate stuff like this.

"I have one last question for you" Rita said after a small silent pause. I looked up at her and waited for her to ask.

"Are you ever going to speak again? Cause Alpha Sam is going to need a mate that can speak. Not someone that can't. It comes off as weak and the pack can't have that." I took in the question for a second before shrugging my shoulders. I haven't spoken in so long that I wasn't even sure if I could. I wish I could speak but I just can't seem to get any words out of my mouth. But if I need to prove to her and everyone else that I can be a strong and good Luna then I'm going to try. For Sam and for the pack.

"Enough questions for now. Why get back to the writing?" She quickly changed the topic. I nodded my head passively, my mind still on all the information I had learnt.

Later on that day just before heading off to bed, I snuck into the bathroom when Sam wasn't looking and stared at myself through the mirror. Rita's words echoed in my head. Alpha Sam is going to need a mate that can speak. Not someone that can't. It comes off as weak and the pack can't have that.

I internally sighed. What if I can never speak again? Will Alpha Sam and the pack decide that they are better off without me?

I can't have that.

I took a deep breath before opening my mouth and trying to speak. All that came out was a small squawk. I started coughing harshly.

"Is everything okay Eclipse?" I jumped as her voice sounded through the bathroom door. I walked over and opened the bathroom door to come face to face with Alpha Sam.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asked. She had a worried expression on her face. I nodded my head before hoping into the bed and pulling the covers over me.

I heard Sam sigh before hoping in next to me.

"I know somethings wrong" She told me after a long silence. I turned my head to look over at her properly.

"You can tell me" She whispered. I took a hold of her hand and squeezed before shuffling closer to her. I shook my head and sighed deeply before snuggling my body closer to hers. I wish I could just speak, it would make everything easier.

Thank you MarciaKing for the awesome cover.