Glass.

3rd Person

5:15pm Soulmate:
What's up.

Keith's eyes widened as he read the notifications, he took a deep breath, reminding himself to chill out. It was only Lance, the most popular guy in school... his soulmate. Keith rapper away at his phone, having to delete a few messages before eventually sending it.

5:17pm Keith:
Bit bored, you?

Keith tapped his foot against the wooden floor, hoping that Lance would answer soon.

5:18pm Soulmate:
I'm just catching up on some homework, you're distracting me though... not that I mind it.

Keith could've died right there, Lance was so smooth, so weirdly unphased by the fact that he had literally met his soulmate that day.

5:19pm Keith:
Sorry, I can leave you alone if you need.

5:19pm Soulmate:
Nope, you're staying.

5:20pm Keith:
Sure.

Keith glanced down at his ring, noticing the slightest tint of pink with a large amount of white. Pain. Keith's eyebrows furrowed at the idea of Lance being hurt.

5:21pm Keith:
Call me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lance's POV

Lance pressed the call button on his phone, pressing speaker so he could hear Keith whilst doodling. He flattened out his shirt and pressed a small amount of powder onto his cheek, assuring that the concealer wouldn't come off. The phone made a small beeping noise and the call connected.

"Hey?" Lance rested his head in his hands, staring at the work below him. He stretched out his arms, wincing at the pain shooting up his back.

"What happened? Why're you hurt?" Keith's voice sounded concerned and Lance glanced at his ring, Keith was fine but Keith's ring probably turned white and Lance facepalmed at the realisation.

"No I'm fine, it's probably just malfunctioning." Lance didn't know what to say, they'd been taught that the ring was alway 100% correct in Chemistry.

"We both know that's not true. Now, I'm going to ask again. What happened?"

Lance wanted to slam his head into the table at full speed.

"No I got in trouble with my dad and he slapped me. Not hard, just a little warning slap." Lance knew it was a lie, but Keith wasn't able to tell that through the ring.

"You could've just said in the first place. You okay though?" Keith's voice had softened, he'd bought Lance's toned down story and Lance was able to relax too.

"Yea, I'm fine now. He apologised." Lance rubbed his temples and turned his head when he heard creaking from the stairs. He knew Keith would freak out if he disconnected all of a sudden, so he prayed that it was one of his siblings.

The bedroom door creaked open and there stood Ronnie, Lance's slightly younger sister. She was 15, just two years younger than Lance. Her hair was dark brown with a royal blue streak down the side of it, it matched her edgy style well. She had a deep purple bruise up the side of her face, it somehow matched with her outfit... not in a good way.

"Hey Lance. Dad wants you to help him with dinner." Ronnie coughed into her hand, holding her chest and smiling at Lance again.

Lance smiled and turned back to his phone.

"I have to go help my dad with dinner, I'll text you later." Lance grabbed his phone and waited for Keith's response.

"Okay, see ya." Keith hung up the phone first and sighed. He gulped before checking his schedule.

Keith sobbed silently before wiping his eyes, pulling up a phone number from his contacts and calling it.

"Hey is this Rio? Yea it's Keith, uh, when can I start?" Keith jotted down the information on a piece of paper, writing down a list of necessities and rules. He nodded, almost as if Rio could see what he was doing.

"Okay, I'll be there tomorrow at nine." Keith gulped before hanging up the phone for the second time at night. He pulled his shirt off from over his head and slammed himself on top of his bed, curling up into the fetal position.

Shiro watched Keith from the crack in his bedroom door and pinched the bridge of his nose and paced around the hallways before going into his room. Keith had to go to his job, they'd moved because of the issues surrounding customers at his last job. It was the worst situation the pair had ever encountered, and Shiro hated the thought of Keith having to go through that.

He made a mental note to get a job, even being a shit scooper if it meant Keith didn't have to succumb to the life of prostitution.

Keith heard Shiro's pacing and wanted to comfort himself, but he didn't know how to comfort himself. He knew that Lance would kill him if he had found out what Keith was doing, considering the fact that soulmates were supposed to wait for each-other in the sex department.

All he could do was stare at his ring, which at that moment had turned a pale white colour, flashes of red often covering the surface. His mind was a nervous wreck, Lance obviously wasn't receiving a few slaps, but who was Keith to judge. Lance had a secret, and Keith was the closest to figuring out what.

~~~~~~~~~~
Lance's POV

The feeling of having my face smashed in was the worst pain I could ever imagine, the sound of a fist colliding with my skull haunted me. The broken glass that my Dad had thrown were scattered around underneath my body, a few piercing my skin. I closed my eyes, trying to imagine how much worse it could get. As soon as I thought it was over, I heard the footsteps pace towards me, he was holding a metal rod in his hand. It was glowing a bright orange and had a stamp at the end. The metal rod made contact with my skin, sizzling away at the surface of my back that it had come into contact with. Almost like a film, I let out a scream. I screamed and cried until my eyes and mouth had nothing more to give, and my body gave in. My eyes faded to black and the feeling of burning faded slightly.

-time skip to later that night-

I clutched my back in pain and woke up still on the kitchen floor, my torturer nowhere in sight. I managed to pick myself up from the floor and find my way up the stairs, each step I could feel the burn on my back move, but I made my way to Ronnie's room, pushed open her door and collapsed on her floor.

Ronnie's POV

My head swung up at the footsteps making their way to my room and I buried my body inside my duvet covers, my eyes peeking out. I saw Lance, and jumped up, holding his body and he dazed in and out of consciousness. My fingers made their way to his back to get a better grip and I felt a warm wound on his back, blisters surrounding the area. My whole body carried him over to my bed and I set him down. Examining his back I noticed a branding mark, Father's company logo. The raw skin in the shape of a smiley face made me gag, Lance always got beaten worse than I ever had, but this was the worst.

Tears filled my eyes as I noticed the shards of glass which had penetrated into his skin, dried blood covering his back. I looked into Lance's tear stained skin and his eyes, which were glossed over in fear. I bandaged up his wounds, carefully cleaning them with rubbing alcohol which didn't really affect Lance due to his unconscious state. I grabbed one of Lance's shirts from the washing basket which I had yet to fold and pulled it over his head, careful of his back. I hugged Lance and images of Mum filled my head, the thought of Lance running away and never seeing me again was better than him enduring this, and I guess Mum had decided that too. Lance managed to hug me back slightly, using the little energy he had to kiss my forehead and I smiled lightly at the gesture.

I watched Lance drift into a slumber, his face was peaceful. I didn't sleep much that night, but I noticed his ring. He had met his soulmate, and that worried me even more.