Chapter 3

The next day, I woke up and combed my hair then changed into a simple pair of pants and a tunic and braided my hair over my shoulder. I refused to let the servant girl help me again.

My wings ached like never before in their clamps and I just wanted to stretch them, even if it was only one time. I would endure the clamps again if only to stretch them out.

A knock on the door announced that it was time to go meet Haven downstairs. I tugged on the clasp of my cloak at my neck and then left my room.

I found Haven waiting at the door, his Illyrian armor polished and his wings folded in tight. He seemed stiff. I paused, waiting for him to call to me.

He looked at me, then, just waiting there, then came over to me. He took my hand and kissed the top of it. "You come to me whenever you wish, Adrianna." He said gently.

Heart beating fast, I found myself smiling and a blush coloring my cheeks.

He didn't release my hand and instead lead me outside. He turned to me and held his arms out to me. "Come. I'll fly us there."

I moved my arms around his neck and he scooped me up and into his arms, holding me securely, but kept away from my wings. He squatted, then with a powerful thrust of his wings, we were in the sky.

I held onto him tightly and moved my mouth close to his ear and asked, "Why are you doing this? Showing me off? I thought..." I drifted off, feeling awkward. Did I speak out of turn?

"Thought what?" He asked a bit gruffly and looked at me, a hint of amusement dancing in his brown eyes.

"Well, I thought that you kept with the thought pattern that women were just breeding objects."

He looked at me again and just kissed my cheek. "You are mine, yes?"

A question. For me to decide. I felt my eyes brim with tears. "I...Yes. Yes, I am."

"As your future husband, then, I have the right to do as I please as Illyrian customs go, yes?"

I nodded meekly.

"Well, Adrianna, I decide I don't want you to leave my side. Ever. I also decide you are to be cared for and respected. This arrangement was made quite some time ago and I know how you are treated. I disagree with the others in their treatment of our females and side more with General Cassian that women have just as much of a right as the males."

I was in danger of actually crying now and I just turned my face into his neck and held onto him tighter. He simply continued to fly onwards, holding me close and secure.

He landed some distance from the camp and gently set me down. When I didn't look at him, he gently tilted my chin up so I had to look at him. "What is it, Adrianna?"

I bit my lip and a tear slid down my cheek. "I..." I just steeled my nerves and rested a hand on his shoulder, standing on my toes, and kissed him. He stiffened a bit, then his arms moved to wrap around my waist and he kissed me back.

When I pulled away, I just whispered, "Thank you."

He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled. "Always." He kisses my forehead, then held out an arm and I looped my own through his and we walked towards the camp.

"Adrianna." He says after a moment of silence.

"Yes, Haven?"

"I...am a different person with my legion. I don't want it to frighten you."

I pondered his words, then said, "If the you I see at home and right now is the real you, you won't scare me."

He looked at me then and a small smile appeared on his face. He rested his hand over mine and looked forward again, out toward the camp.