Chapter 14

We reached the inn at nightfall and Azriel rented a room for us and we went into it and after we finalized the plan, only I emerged.

Now with my cloak off, several males looked in my direction, but I sauntered past, flashing them a pretty smile as I went. I sat down on a stool at the bar and ordered a drink, leaning forward with my elbows on the table.

"What can I get you, lady?" The bartender asked and winked at me. I gave him a bright smile and said,

"Just a glass of red wine, please." I placed a silver piece on the counter and he took it and went off to get my drink.

Someone approached me from behind and rested their hands on my hips and leaned into me. "Aren't you pretty?" The male's voice slurred in my ear.

"Why thank you, sir." I said and looked back at him. It wasn't Galahad, but it was that same Fae who accompanied him, so I grinned, then brought my arm up and rammed my elbow into his jaw and he stumbled back. "But don't you know it's rude to touch a lady without her permission?"

I picked up my drink and took a dainty sip from my wine and smirked at him over the rim of the glass.

"You bitch! I'm just trying to have some fun, that's all!" The male laughed. "Why don't you want to play along?"

I ignored the word, having heard it enough times in my life, and said, "Well, don't all games have rules?" I swished my wine around in the goblet and rested a hand on one hip.

"What do you have in mind?" He asked and grinned widely, but although it meet his pointed ears, it didn't reach his brown eyes.

I felt a tug in the pit of my stomach as the words left my mouth. "Well, there are three words you must wait for. It also can be only you and me." I pointed from him to myself with a wink and his jaw went slack, fists clenching and his friends patting his back. I thought he was going to melt when I winked at him. "Three words. Run. Walk. Stop. It's an easy game, really."

"And does my player have a name?" He asked with a grin.

I laughed and said, "You're cute. You can call me Anna."

"Is that your real name?"

"Maybe. Maybe not." I drank the last bit of the wine and set the empty goblet on the counter. "What's yours?"

"Lance." He replied and ran a hand through his black hair and grinned, setting his tankard down.

I turned my back to him and began to walk away and said over my shoulder with a wink, "Walk."

He began to follow me and I said in a sing-song voice, "Slower, darling. You can't rush it. This game isn't a race."

I made it down the hall and out of the main room, then called, "Run!"

I looked behind me, and as he entered the hall, I said, "Stop."

He shifted uncomfortably. "Are you enjoying yourself, Anna?"

My superior eyesight caught a bead of sweat trickle down his face. I knew exactly what to do to get a male like this. This flustered. And I would enjoy killing him.

"Maybe a little." I said with a wink and opened the back door.

"The woods? Isn't the inn a lot more comfortable?" He asked and I smirked at him.

"What? You seem like the adventurous type. And aren't those sentry clothes? Do you work for the High Lord? That is a great honor, Lance. You should be proud. Hold your head high. A simple night in the woods shouldn't bother you. After all, I doubt we'll be cold."