Chapter 23

I looked between Azriel and Feyre with raised eyebrows.

"You want to come?" Azriel asked and seemed a little surprised.

"I know the woods and the land better than you would." Feyre replied. "I hunted in the woods to feed my family and know the area well."

I looked to Azriel and shrugged. "Her pointed ears are easy enough to hide with a few glamours. I don't see a problem with her tagging along."

He offered Feyre a small smile, then held a hand out to me and said, "Love, could I talk with you?"

I sent Feyre an apologetic look and took his hand and we vanished. He brought us out of the shadows and into a small clearing in the forest.

"Is there a problem with her coming along?" I asked gently as he began to pace back and forth.

"No. It just complicates things."

"What is the mission?"

"Rhysand has asked us to check up on her family. Make sure this new home and land are up to par. He wants you, however, to find and kill someone for him."

"As always." I rolled my eyes. "Who, and what did they do?"

"Well, this person is one of the Blessed. So you'll have to be exceptionally careful. They worship us, as you know, but this particular member of the Blessed is not human in the slightest. Her name is Ravenna and she's was Haven's cohort. She's working for Hybern as well. We don't know what Ravenna is doing in the human realms, but none of it can be good."

I nodded slowly. "Dealing with a woman will be a bit more complicated. Men are easier to get alone." I said, thinking out loud as I pinched the bridge of my nose. I felt Azriel tense at the comment. "Alright. So you want me to find this Ravenna in the group of the Children of the Blessed who isn't human and murder her in a way that won't look like anyone but another human killed her?"

He nodded. "Exactly. I don't see Feyre being able to help us in this trip considering we won't be together. And I doubt she'll take it as the mere precautions of a caring High Lord if she finds out his spymaster is following her family around."

I nodded, knowing well that Feyre would not take kindly to anything like that. "Alright. I'll come up with something to tell her."

He rested his hand on my cheek and kissed my forehead. "You don't have to lie about what you're doing. Just say that I am taking care of business that has to remain a secret."

I smiled and took his hand, nodding once. "That is true. She will probably ask to come with us next time, though."

"Then I'm sure she'll enjoy herself when it comes to showing you around her old home." He says with a soft smile and I kissed his cheek.

His hand rested on my back and we shadow travelled back to the training field and saw Feyre and Cassian standing awkwardly and they jumped a little when we materialized.

I grinned broadly. "Did we scare you, General?"

"What? No. Of course not." He says indignantly, wings ruffling indignantly as he pulled on his vest.

I grinned and leaned back into Azriel's chest as I said, "I think we scared him."

His arms looped around my shoulders and he rested his chin on my head. "Hm. He does look a little ruffled."

"I do not!" Cassian spluttered. "You didn't scare me. You surprised me, that's all! You Shadowsingers just appear without warning."

"So do those who can winnow." I said with a grin and he merely flipped me off.