Chapter 21

Song- "Infinity" by Jaymes Young

*****

I must have given Haven a heart attack because when I appeared around that corner, his wings flared in surprise and he took a stumbling step back.

"Adrianna!" He gasped.

I settled my expression into one of indifference. "Yes?"

He faltered, seemingly not expecting such a plain response. Rhys and Cassian had their arms crossed and they merely watched the confrontation. I looked at Rhys and he inclined his head.

He knew I knew now. That I knew all of it. And he seemed pleased.

My gaze fell onto Haven again and I lifted my left hand- bare of the ring he had given me and covered in my tattoos- to my chin and said, "Did I hear a mention of you saying you had a claim on me?"

"I...no. I didn't. You have a choice, too. I was merely-"

"You know, I don't like liars." I interrupted and studied the nails of my left hand. His eyes were trained onto the tattoos. "So I won't lie to you when I say I found my mate and am no longer interested in pursuing you romantically, but I am interested in your death, much like my High Lord and General both seem to be as well. And my mate. The one you stabbed- he's fine. But I'm not in a forgiving mood."

His jaw clenched. "Adrianna, I-"

"I think, Haven, that you had better have a damn good excuse for why you are like this. Because I'm pretty sure your torture and later execution falls under my jurisdiction, is that not correct, Lord Rhysand?"

Rhys grinned at Haven and said, "Yes. I'm sure you'll find my most loyal Assassin and her mate quite a good pair when it comes to dishing out your end. I did warn you that you would die if-"

"I know something about Adrianna that you won't get if you torture or kill me."  Haven said desperately, hands raised in defense.

I raised both eyebrows in shock. Rhys narrowed his violet eyes on him and all of a sudden, Haven was on his knees clutching his head with a grimace in pain. "Let me remind you that I could take it easily from your skull and then turn you into nothing but red mist. But, because I'm feeling generous, I think I'll let Adrianna handle you."

He looked at me and Azriel materialized behind me, an arm looping around my shoulders as he looked at Haven with a glare of pure hatred. The shadows around him seemed to grow and he looked almost...scary. I merely reached up to hold his hand and smirked at Haven as he cowered, realizing just how much of a mistake he had made.

"I am curious about what you have to say about my mate." Azriel said in a soft tone laced with venom. "Shall we go somewhere else so we can talk?"

Haven was shaking like a leaf.

I stepped out from under Azriel's arm and looked up at Haven and said, "Let's talk."

I grabbed his arm and we disappeared into shadows and reappeared in a dungeon cell in the Keep before the Court. I tossed him inside and slammed the door, locking it after him. He stood up immediately and grabbed onto the bars, looking down at me desperately.

"I spent twenty-two years Under the Mountain, you know. In a cell much like this one where I was only let out to fight to death in an arena for the entertainment of Amarantha and her goons. But you were gone before you could perhaps have saved me from my kidnappers who were ordered to kill you and abduct me by your old friend Jace." I raised an eyebrow at him. "I am surprised, and have to say I expected a lot more from you. I guess you'll be glad to know that my abductors and Jace are dead now. I killed them. I had to save myself. You weren't there. So, let's hope I don't forget you're down here. And get comfortable. Because your powers have a dampener on them. You can't escape. So, have fun."