Chapter 18

Song- "Never Be the Same" by Camilla Cabello

******

My wings drooped to the floor. I couldn't breathe. Couldn't think.

"No." I say and stand, pulling away from Azriel. "No, no, no he can't be alive. No. I was convicted of his murder! His mutilated body was tossed in front of my face! It was him!"

Azriel stood and rested his hands on my cheeks and said softly, "Adrianna."

I reached up to hold onto his wrists and let out a shuddering breath as I tried to calm down, a rebellious tear sliding down my cheek but he quickly wiped it away with his thumb. 

"We will figure this out, love, ok? We can go to this butler of yours at your old home, and question him further while there, alright?" He kissed my forehead and I just closed my eyes and leaned into his touch.

"Alright." I said and let out a slow breath. "I need to talk to Cassian about something first. Confirm a few things I learned from Galahad and Lance about this new commander. There might need to be a serious talk in order." I glared at the floor and moved my hands to hold onto his shirt. "He killed him for power. Haven was- is, apparently- a good man. And I hate selfishness."

Azriel raised an eyebrow and said, "And what if I said I wanted to be selfish and keep you all to myself, hm?" His hands moved to circle around my waist and he pulled me closer. I blushed and said,

"I guess I can make an exception for you, but you'll be the only one."

He grins. "I hoped you were going to say that. Now. It's nearly midnight. There's nothing we can do about it now, so I say let's get some rest, hm?"

"Can I take my hair out of this towel and brush it before it becomes a knotted mess?" I asked and rested a hand on his cheek.

He nods. "Indeed."

I pull away reluctantly after he gives me one more kiss and I walk over to the mirror and undid the towel and brushed through my hair, then dropped the bathrobe.

I walked back over to the bed and picked up Azriel's discarded shirt and pulled it on, grinning a bit to find it much too big on me. When I looked over at him, he was staring at me with a bit of a red face from where he sat on the bed.

I walked over and pulled aside the covers and slid under them and held my arms out to him. He turned and slid under the blankets and settled into my arms, his head on my shoulder and his arms wrapped around me.

I just held him and kissed the top of his head and soon enough, we were both asleep.

******

I woke up to Azriel hugging me from behind. My wings were folded into my body and one of his was draped over us. The arm that was slid under my head lay in front of me and I took his hand. His fingers curled around mine.

He had his face stuffed between my neck and shoulder, and when I took his hand, his other arm curled around my waist tighter and he kissed my neck.

I blushed and bit my lip and wriggled a little and he grunted at me to hold still. "Azriel." I grumbled and twisted in his arms to lay on my back.

His hazel eyes were halfway open and he released my hand to hold himself up on one elbow. He leaned down and just kissed my lips once. "Yes, Adrianna?" He whispered against my mouth.