Chapter 5

Over the next few days, I was stripped of my dress and given instead Illyrian fighting leathers. I clenched my fists and got to work training.

The fighters were given a room in a deeper cavern to train. And I trained day and night to build up my muscles. I strengthen my back and core. My shoulders. My legs. I refused to bow to the depression outside of my cell. Here, I was an Illyrian warrior.

I was strong and I would not be moved.

When the day of the fight came, I stood at the door of my cell, waiting.

I didn't know who was at my cell that first night, but I did know I'd take their advice. I would fight.

Then, the door opened and I was lead out of my cell and down several levels and down a corridor. I was stopped and the cuffs were taken off of my wrists. I could hear the roaring of the crowds above us, could hear the stomping feet.

"Fight, and win. No mercy for the dead. No remorse, either. Only one may leave that Ring. And I'm willing to bet an Illyrian would beat that lesser water nymph in a heartbeat." The guard behind me said.

He must have had no idea how the Illyrian women were treated in the Night Court, but I didn't blame him. We weren't talked about much.

The metal grate I stood on shifted suddenly, and began to rise. The voices became deafening and I blinked as light came into the hole I rose up and out of into the Ring.

I assessed my surroundings. Sand, dirt, and small pebbles. A water nymph, that guard had said. I'll be at an advantage, then.

I saw across the way that this water nymph was tall- very tall- and he more a simple loon cloth and was covered in scars. The crowd cheered as he stepped out into their range of sight.

I stepped out then, too, my wings behind me spread as much as I could get them with the clamps and the cheers became deafening.

I scanned the walls. Spears, knives, swords, axes, clubs. Heavy melee weapons.

Then, a deep voice called to take a weapon.

The water nymph took a spear and a net. To trap and pin me, then kill me. I clenched my jaw.

I scanned the wall, then chose a pair of curved swords and slipped two knives into my belt.

We stood at the center of the Ring, holding our weapons up.

I leveled my gaze with him, and I saw, under that facade of fierce determination, fear settled in his eyes. Even as they looked at the Syphons on my wrists. I grinned at him- a vicious look. Don't let him see my own fear.

I settled into a crouch and set my face in a mask of hatred. For Haven. This was for Haven. I'd kill everyone in this blasted mountain if I had to. Every last High Fae and faerie alike until there was none left.

For killing Haven, they would pay. For Haven.

There was a ding of a bell, and the nymph charged. I side-stepped the first strike of his spear and swung a sword at his neck, but he dodged and I missed my target, but still managed to slice the blade across his arm, causing blue blood to spurt forth.

He let out a roar in pain and swung the butt of the spear around and hit my calves, knocking me to the ground. Hard.

I rolled as he tossed the net at me and sprang to my feet again.

Screams for more blood from the crowd above us made me grind my teeth as I spun around, taking a knife from my belt and throwing it.

I watched as time seemed to slow and as I threw the knife, he threw the spear.