Chapter 11

I woke up suddenly to a sharp tug deep down in the pit of my stomach. I sat up in bed suddenly and looked around. It was dark in my room still. The middle of the night. But that tug was strong and I felt my head spin as I tossed my covers off of me and left my room, following the direction of the tug, the cramp strengthening as I got closer to whatever was pulling me along.

It lead me to Azriel's door.

I hesitated outside of it, then knocked. When no answer came from inside, I opened the door to find him sitting on his bed with his arms wrapped around his head, knees tucked up and his shoulders shook. I raced over to his side and rested my hands on his shoulders.

"Azriel." I said.

He looked up suddenly and backed away with a jump. He stared at me incomprehensibly with red tear-filled eyes, then he covered his face with his scarred hands. His wings were drooped around his sides and he wore only pants, and I looked at the tattoos across his shoulders and chest curiously, but sat on the bed in front of him and whispered,

"Azriel. Look at me." I reached for his hands and his while body went stiff. "Come on, now, love. It's ok. I'm here."

I gently pulled his hands from his face and saw it was stained with tears. I furrowed my eyebrows and he held onto my hands tightly, saying nothing, as if he was clinging onto me for dear life.

I slid closer and kissed his tear-stained cheeks and whispered, "It's ok. I'm here now, love. You're safe. It was only a nightmare. I get them, too." My hands resting on the sides of his head to tilt it down.

He looked up at me, hazel eyes shining a little in the dark, and he whispered hoarsely, "Stay?" A broken plea.

I paused. That tug was even stronger now and only seemed to abate when I was closer to him. I nodded. "Yes. Always." I wasn't going to leave him like this anyways.

I slid off the bed then closed his door and returned and slid under the covers and laid on a pillow and held my arms out to him. He laid down next to me and wrapped his arms around my waist and laid his head on my shoulder so that I was his pillow, pulling the blankets over us.

I kissed the top of his head and gently ran my fingers through his soft black hair. He let out a shuddering breath and just hugged me closer, and I whispered,

"It's ok. I've got you, and I'm never letting go."

I felt myself begin to drift off again and I did, this time in his arms and him in mine and without a fear in the world.

******

The next time I woke up, sunlight was streaming through the windows. I looked over to my right, and he was still there and sleeping. He laid on his side facing me and I scooted closer to him and wrapped my arms around him in a hug, nuzzling my face into his neck and breathing in the scent of him.

His slowly moved around me, and a kiss was placed on my head. "Good morning." He said softly, voice scratchy and a little rough.

I blushed. "Good morning."

His hand came up to tilt my face up to his and I smiled a little at him. He smiled back and leaned forward and gently kissed my lips. "How did you sleep?" He mumbled, brushing some hair from my face.

"Very well, actually. I didn't have any nightmares. Did you have any more?" I asked and rested a hand on his cheek.

He shook his head, a small smile on his face. "No. I did not."

"Well, that's good." I say and smiled at him a little more. "I have training again this morning. Would it be bad if I just skipped today?"

He chuckled and I smiled. "I think he wouldn't let you hear the last of it. How are your wings? Are you using the techniques I showed you to strengthen them?" He asked, rubbing his hands up and down my arms.