18

As Brooklyn was walking to her apartment after school she saw Brian sitting in the hall outside her door. She tried to ignore him but as soon as he saw her he jumped up.

"Hey I've been waiting to talk to you, where have you been all day?"

"That's none of your business." She didn't look at him and started unlocking her door.

"Fine. Can I just come in and talk?"

"No." She walked into her apartment and shut the door.

He walked in behind her anyway.

"Brook I'm so sorry about yesterday. I was out with the guys and I did some drugs, I never would've hurt you on purpose. Please, you have to believe me. It'll never happen again I promise." He reached for her hand but she pulled away.

"I can't keep doing this. You hurt me Brian. Look, you left bruises on me."

"Brook I'm so sorry, please believe me. I hate myself for hurting you. I'll do anything if you'll forgive me. I'll get sober for you, no more drinking, no more drugs. I don't want to be high if it means I hurt you."

He sounded genuine. In Brooklyn's heart she believed him, forgave him, and loved him. But in her head she knew she shouldn't trust him, she knew she was stupid if she took him back.

"You really expect me to let you stay when the last time you were here you hit me and screamed in my face?"

"But Brooklyn I love you." He plead.

"You have a pretty distorted view of what love is. If you love someone you don't hurt them."

"I know it's fucked up. I do love you. That wasn't me, I wouldn't do that, it was the drugs. I'm sorry."

"You know what's even more fucked up? I still love you. I love a man that put his hands on me, left marks on me, screamed at me, belittled me, isolated me, abused me. There must be something wrong with me, I need some time to figure out what that is."

"So what are you saying? You still love me so...?"

"I'm saying I need time. Can you please give me that?" She nodded towards the door.

Brian sighed and turned to walk out.

"I love you Brook. Take all the time you need, I'll still be here." He said before leaving her alone.