20

Brooklyn arrived home and noticed the light on her answering machine blinking. She walked over to listen to her voicemail.

"Hey Brook it's me. I just wanted to tell you I love you and I'm going out, I'll be back tomorrow. And listen I know you need some space but I have a show tomorrow night if you want to go. Anyways, I'm still really sorry. If you need anything call Twiggy's, that's where I'll be. I love you baby."

Brooklyn sighed. Brian was crazy if he thought she was going to one of his rock shows again. She went on about her business for the rest of the night, contemplating what she would wear to the concert if she did go, then hating herself for even considering it.

Later, the phone rang as Brooklyn was cleaning and she stopped to answer it.

"Hey is this Brooklyn?"

"Yeah, who is this?"

"Reid."

"Oh hi, what's up?"

"I know it's late but do you want to hang out again? I could come to your place if you want."

"I don't know..." She hesitated. Brian said he was out of town so it should be fine, she thought. "Okay, I live at The Palms, just off campus. Apartment 100, I'll leave the door unlocked."

"Okay I'll be there soon." Reid hung up.

20 minutes later Reid arrived at her door. She let him in then locked the door behind him.

"Come in and have a seat." She gestured to the couch. "You can pick out the movie if you want."

"Actually I was hoping we could talk first" He sat on a stool at the kitchen counter.

"Okay, sure." She walked over.

"I like you a lot Brooklyn." He grabbed her hand.

"I like you too."

"I know you said you didn't want to get into anything because of your ex but... I won't hurt you Brook." He looked deeply into her eyes, clenching his square jaw at his vulnerability.

She was taken back for a moment that he called her Brook, Brian called her that.

"I'm still messed up, if I'm honest I don't trust you yet. And if Brian sees us together, he'll hurt me or even you. I really do like you but I don't think I'm ready."

"I know it will take you a while to trust me and I'm okay with that, and don't worry about Brian, I'll take care of you. We don't have to have a title right now but I want to be with you Brooklyn."

She sighed. "Reid I want to be with you too, I just don't know how long it will take me to get back to normal. And you don't deserve this... some fucked up girl who doesn't trust you."

"I'm willing to wait for you, like I said we don't have to rush into anything but we can just hang for now can't we?" He grabbed her other hand, holding both of hers in his.

She smiled. "I guess so."

"Good, would you like to hang out with me tomorrow night?"

"Oh yeah? What did you have in mind?" She smirked.

"There's this concert I wanted to go to. I don't know if you listen to rock music at all but they're called Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids."

Brooklyn's smile went away and her demeanor changed, Reid noticed.

"What's wrong? Not a fan?" He asked half joking.

"Marilyn Manson is his stage name, his real name is Brian."

"You're kidding. Marilyn Manson is your abusive ex boyfriend? I can't believe it, I mean I do believe you but I can't believe you dated Marilyn Manson."

"He lives across the hall. I had no idea who he was before we started dating. I didn't know about the music, or the band, or the violence, or the drugs."

"This is a lot, I've listened to his music since freshman year. I can't believe he's the guy that hurt you."

"I've got the bruises to prove it."