45

The next morning, Brooklyn and Brian awoke to the smell of syrup. Brooklyn's mom was downstairs cooking them breakfast before their flight back to Florida that afternoon.

"Babe, what if we stayed another day?" Brian asked as Brooklyn got dressed.

"Why? It's getting really close to my due date, I hate being so far away from my doctors."

Brian sat for a minute. "Brook, when are we gonna get married?"

"Umm, I just assumed after the baby was born. Why?"

"What if we did it here? Your family is here, it would make everything easier when the baby is born. We already have the marriage license."

"Why the rush, babe? If we waited until after the baby is born we'd have more time to plan."

"I just don't want us to have two different last names on her birth certificate." Brian said.

"Aww baby. What about your friends? Don't you want them at our wedding?"

"I don't care who's there as long as I have you."

"I've always said that I don't want a big wedding, as far as I'm concerned my family doesn't even have to be there. We can change the flight, find a minister and my brother could be a witness."

"Really? We can do all this today?" Brian asked excitedly.

"Yeah, we can ask Vinny after breakfast, which we should probably go eat before it's gone."

"I love you." Brian kissed her.

They went downstairs to the kitchen where Vinny and their mom were preparing the food.

"It's just like you to come down when breakfast is all cooked." Vinny teased.

"I'm still not used to seeing that belly." Brooklyn's mom smiled as she made everyone's plates.

"Well, you'll be seeing it for one more day."

"You're staying another day?" Vinny asked.

"Yeah, we're changing the flight to tomorrow."

"Oh that's great honey. I'm gonna go tell your dad breakfast is ready." Her mom said.

"I'll do it." Brooklyn jumped up.

She went to her dad's office and peeked her head in. "You got a minute?"

"Yeah come in."

She sat across from his desk. "There's a problem."

"What is it?" He asked.

"Brian wants to go ahead and get married, like today. The prenup isn't ready."

"You used a lawyer in New Jersey right?"

"Yeah, of course. Do you think you can put a rush on it?"

"I can do anything. But if you need more time to convince him to sign it, just get a postnuptial agreement. It's the same thing it's just signed after you're already married."

"Sounds riskier." Brooklyn said.

"It is, but it's risky to ask him to sign today. Do you think he would?"

"I doubt it. I can work with the postnup. Since we'll already be married he'll be more likely to sign."

"Good, just call your lawyer and tell them there's been a change. Everything will work out."

"Thanks dad, oh and breakfast is ready." She left his office and went back down to the kitchen.

She still resented her dad a little for his criminal activity and leaving the family but she couldn't deny that he had a mind for business, and so did she. It almost made her want to give up neonatology and do something that would put her skills to use.