19

Friday as Brooklyn was leaving class she heard a familiar voice calling her name.

"Brooklyn, wait up!"

She turned around and saw Reid jogging toward her. He was so cute.

"Reid, what's up?" She stepped out of the crowd and leaned against the wall.

"Are you going to the courtyard today?" He asked.

"Actually I just finished my midterm, I'm taking a break from studying today."

"Oh well congrats, do you have any plans?"

"Not yet."

"Do you want to go get coffee with me?" He smiled.

She couldn't dare say no to that smile.

"I could go for some coffee."

"Cawfee." He imitated her thick New Jersey accent. "I love the way you say that."

She smiled and they started down the street to the coffee shop. After ordering their coffees, they made their way to a small table outside and Reid pulled out Brooklyn's chair for her.

"So Brooklyn, tell me about yourself." He started.

She laughed. "I hate that line. It's like, where do I start? I'm from New Jersey, I'm Italian. I'm 18, my birthday is October 12. What else is there?"

"Can I ask you a serious question? Those marks on your arms and neck, who gave you those?" He asked.

"My ex boyfriend. He came over while he was on drugs and he just snapped. I broke it off after that."

"God Brooklyn, how could someone hurt you?" He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and let his hand fall down her neck, brushing over the bruise.

She looked deeply into his blue eyes.

"Reid..." She lost herself for a minute. "Tell me about yourself." She changed the subject.

"I'm Reid Washington. I'm a sophomore. I'm from Philadelphia, I'm 19. My birthday is February 27. I live on campus in a dorm with 3 other guys, it's not the easiest place to study so that's why I go to the courtyard. I had a few girlfriends back home, but I haven't really talked to a girl since I've been here."

"Oh whatever! There's no way you haven't had girls here." She laughed.

"Why is that so hard to believe?"

"Look at you! You're gorgeous." She laughed and then stopped abruptly realizing what she said.

"So are you." He smiled.

She smiled for a second. "Thank you."

"I like you Brooklyn."

"I like you too... but I just got out of a relationship with an abusive ex, so you understand my apprehension."

"Take your time. I just wanted you to know how I feel."

She nodded. "I should probably head home."

"I'll walk you back to campus."

Reid pushed her chair under and put his hand lightly on the small of her back as they walked out together. They walked for a while in silence.

"I'm sorry to hear about your ex, I wish you didn't have to go through that. Anyone that could hurt you, they must be terrible." He said.

"Yeah, it was crazy unhealthy. He was at my door yesterday, apologizing profusely."

"Oh my god. He's still coming around? Well now I'm gonna worry about you."

"I'm fine I promise. I can take care of myself." She said as they walked into the parking lot. "Well this is me."

"This is your car? Nice."

"Thanks, and thanks for the coffee. I had a nice time." She opened her door and leaned against her car.

Reid moved in close to her. "I did too." He put his hand on her waist and moved in to kiss her.

She closed the gap between them and pressed her lips against his. They were soft but not too soft.

She pulled away after a few seconds and they smiled at each other.

"I'm sorry, I hope that wasn't too soon for you."

"No, it's okay. I have to go." She smiled.

"Drive safe." He closed her car door for her and waved as she drove away.