53

Not long after Brooklyn and Ella got home, Brian came in from work.

"Hey babe, how was the park?" Brian asked.

"It was nice, Ella really liked it." Brooklyn lied. She walked over to him holding the baby.

"Hey baby, did you have fun at the park?" He said to Ella.

"I need to go change her." Brooklyn took Ella into her room.

Brian sat his stuff down and noticed an envelope on the table under Brooklyn's keys. He picked it up and examined it.

"Brook what is this?" He opened it and read silently for a few seconds. "Is this a fucking prenup?" He asked.

Brooklyn came into the room rocking Ella. "Well technically it's a postnup, we're already married."

"Brooklyn don't play with me."

"Baby it's nothing serious. It just says if we ever get a divorce, what's mine is mine and what's yours is yours. Anything we got together, we spilt."

"If we ever get a divorce? You're Catholic, you don't even believe in divorce."

"Look, it's just precautionary. It's the only way I could get my dad to get off my back. He wants to make sure that Ella and I will be okay if you leave me."

"And if we break up, who gets Ella?"

She just looked at him in shock. How did he have the audacity to ask that question? Obviously Ella would go with her, she's the one who carried her for nine months. She held back her explosive thoughts and composed a reasonable one.

"Baby we're not gonna break up. I told you, this was my dad's idea, not mine. You don't even have to sign it, I'll just tell him you did."

"Whatever Brook." He signed the paper.

"I love you." She walked over and pecked him on the lips. "Do you want to put her to bed?"

"Yeah." Brian took Ella into the nursery and put her into her crib.

Brooklyn followed him and watched from the doorway.

After he put Ella down he turned around and just looked at Brooklyn. He would've walked out but she was blocking the doorway.

"Are you mad?" She asked him.

"Not in Ella's room, let's go in there."

They went and sat on the couch together.

"I would never ask you to sign something like that." Brian shook his head.

"I told you it was my dad's idea. I know we're not going to break up but my dad is worried you'll leave me."

"Then you should've defended me to him instead of making me sign a paper."

"Brian... I'm sorry. I just wanted my dad to think I was responsible. I've spent my whole life trying to get his approval, I didn't mean to hurt you in the process. I'm sorry." She teared up.

Brian gave in, not wanting to see her cry. "Baby, I know you want your dad's approval. But what did I tell you when he was in jail? You have me, you don't need him anymore. I'll take care of you and Ella, always." He hugged her.

"I don't deserve you, I'm sorry."

"It's okay babe, I love you."

She kissed him. "I love you too."