Chapter 35: Survivors Found

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 35: Survivors Found

Location: Surface of Halo

D +03:14:26 (SPARTAN-II Blue Team Mission Clock)

Up ahead Matt saw a light so bright that it seemed to compete with the sun. It originated somewhere beyond the rocks and trees ahead, surged up between the horns of a large U-shaped construct, and raced into the sky where the planet Threshold served as a pastel backdrop. Was the pulse some sort of beacon? Part of what held the ringworld together? There was no way for him to know.

Cortana had already warned the Spartans that a group of Marines had crash-landed in the area, so he wasn't surprised to hear the rattle of automatic weapons fire or the characteristic whine as Covenant energy weapons answered in kind.

The Spartans eased their way through the scrub and onto the hillside above the U-shaped edifice and the blocky structures that surrounded it. They could see a group of Grunts, Jackals, and Elites dashing back and forth as they tried to overwhelm a group of Marines.

"We can't go in guns blazing," the Chief said. "Switch to your pistol."

"Affirmative," Matt said as he grabbed his pistol.

Matt raised his sidearm, activated the 2X magnification, and took careful aim. A series of well-placed shots knocked a trio of Grunts off their feet.

Before the Covenant forces could locate where the incoming fire had originated, the Spartans opened fire on a blue-armored Elite. It took a full magazine to put the warrior down, but it beat the hell out of going toe-to-toe with the alien when there wasn't any need to.

The quick, unexpected sniping attack gave the Marines the opportunity they needed. There was a quick flurry of fire as the Spartans made their way down the slope. Matt paused to strip some plasma grenades off a dead Grunt. The Spartans were welcomed by a friendly private.

"Good to see you, Commander, Master Chief. Welcome to the party."

Matt's reply was a curt nod. "Where's your CO, Private?"

"Back there," the Marine said. He turned and called over his shoulder. "Hey, Sarge!"

Matt recognized the tough-looking Sergeant who trotted to join them. He'd last seen Sergeant Johnson during a search-and-destroy run aboard one of Reach's orbital docking facilities.
"What's your status here, Sergeant?"

"It's a mess," Johnson growled. "We're scattered all over this valley." He paused, and added in a quiet voice, "We called for evac, but until you showed up, I thought we were done for."

"Don't worry," Cortana said over John's external speakers, "we'll stay here till evac arrives. I've been in touch with AI Wellsley. The Helljumpers are in the process of taking over some Covenant real estate—and one of the Pelicans has been dispatched to pick you up."

"Glad to hear it," Johnson replied. "Some of my people need medical attention."

"Here comes another Covenant dropship," the Private put in. "It's time to roll out the welcome mat!"

"Okay, Bisenti," Johnson barked. "Re-form the squad. Let's get to work."

Matt looked up and saw that the Marine was correct—another Covenant landing craft hovered for a moment, then dropped close to the ground. The oddly shaped vehicle dipped slightly, and the mandible structures that formed the bulk of the dropship's fuselage hinged open. A clutch of Grunts and an Elite dropped to the ground.