Chapter.17

I jerk a little bit when I notice that Carter is stroking my hair.

"Oh sorry, didn't mean to wake you", he says, pulling his hand away.

"No no it's it's okay, I was kinda drifting awake anyway."

I pull his hand into his a rest my head on his shoulder.

"Are the others awake yet?"

He laughs.

"See for yourself."

I look over his shoulder to see a passed out Mandy stretched out across the seats with her head on Cody's lap, who is also sleeping.

I let out a small, compact giggle.

"Are you okay? You seem a little out of it, did you have a bad dream?"

Carter's concern touches me, honestly, but I don't think I can tell him about me regaining some of my memories, it just doesn't seem like a wise choice right now.

"Yeah Carter, I'm fine, jut a bit out of it with all this new information floating around in my head."

I make weird hand jesters, symboling floating things in my head. He cracks a smile and wraps his big arms around me, giving me a hug.

A few minutes later the bus slows to a stop and I realize I must stop the fantasy that I am loving so much.

Carter unwraps his arms from around me right as the bus driver comes on over the intercom.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it is now 3:45 AM and we have reached South Carolina, please pack your things and exit safely off of the bus."

I push myself out of my chair and stretch with a groan as Carter takes on the difficult task of waking Mandy and Cody up. He manages with Cody, who groggily says good morning and starts packing up his things. I march over to Mandy and yell.

"Mandy there's a plate of chocolate covered strawberries down stairs, you better go get them before Cody eats them all."

She jumps up so quickly and suddenly that her head hits the top of the bus.

"Owwww, Cody those are my strawberries! don't you dare eat them!"

We all throw our heads back laughing.

"I was kidding Mandy, I just had to wake you up so we could get off the bus."

She glares at me and gathers up her bags, then trots to the stairs saying "well next time you do that your going to get slapped, now people let's move out!"

Rolling my eyes I throw straps of my backpacks over my shoulders and follow Mandy, with Carter and Cody on my trail. We walk out if the bus, the bus driver giving us strange looks on the way out. must be for all the racket we were making. I wouldn't blame him, we were pretty loud.

Taking a first look of the city was amazing. Buildings towered high above my head. There were also some small ones hidden in a few corners that I could see. People walked and talked everywhere, on the streets, riding bikes. There were so many people on the streets that I lost count when I tried.

I start to walk down the sidewalk, not really bothering to tell the others.

In the distance I see a light. No not a street light or any off that, but a type of glowing light, like mine or Mandy's. It was a simple color, a yellowish green, very beautiful if you ask me. I feel like it's important, like it means something. That's exactly why I am fallowing it. Well not really following it, trying to find it sounds more appropriate.

A path seems to lead in front of my as I twist and wind my way around people. The others ought to know I'm gone know.

"Nat!" it was Mandy.

Like on que, she runs up and hugs me from behind. We were all so worried when we noticed you went standing with us.

"I'm sorry Mands, I saw a light, don't you see it?"

I point to the light up ahead, it's so close, i can tell.

Mandy looks and shakes her head. She looks behind her at Cody and Carter.

"Another one? I thought we were the only ones."

Carter nods.

"Me to, she also must be a higher class it seems, the way her light is glowing and all."

Mandy grabs my hand and starts to pull me closer a d closer toward the light.

Anticipation and longing to find out what it is grabs at me. It seems like it's strong and it specifies toward me in some way, and I want to find out.