Chapter Five

Sunpaw padded out of the camp and picked her way through the leafless trees, her fur slightly fluffed up against the cold. She was cold, but not freezing. Not like it would be if Applefoot stole the sun.

But... What if the sun was her? Either way, she couldn't let Applefoot kill it. She would have to be on her guard from now on. And what had Raintail meant by Ligningfeather not being allowed to know about the meetings she had with StarClan? Was he... Secretly on Applefoot's side?

Suddenly she heard a snapping of a twig. She looked around, suddenly fearful. What would happen if- no, it was probably just prey. She sniffed the air. She couldn't deny the unmistakable odor of Applefoot- and fresh, too. That meant she was probably still in the area. Sunpaw bounded up a tree, quick as a flash, a leafless birch tree. She hoped her silver and black pelt would blend in alright with the wood.

She peered down, holding her breath. All she saw were shadows. Sunpaw sniffed the air again, and smelled Applefoot's scent, coming closer. Fox dung! She cursed herself inwardly as she remembered she hadn't disguised her scent. Luckily, she was downwind for the time being, but she climbed a little higher, just to be sure that Applefoot didn't scent her.

Sunpaw padded along the tree, leaping from branch to branch. She ignored the fear that was slowly growing inside her as she looked around, straining her eyes for a glimpse of Applefoot's silver tabby pelt. Finally, just as she was approaching the BreezeClan border, she heard a voice. "Glad you could make it."

She looked down onto the border and nearly fell out of the tree in shock. There sat Applefoot, who was sitting calmly and without any fear of being noticed, on the BreezeClan border. A brown she cat with a black spot around her eye sat there, staring impatiently at Applefoot. Sunpaw wracked her memory and decided she might be Blackspot, the deputy.

The deputy was in league with Applefoot. That was certainly what it seemed like, anyway. Sitting next to her was a dark cream she cat. Applefoot turned her head, looking towards the FlowerClan meadow. "Oh, here comes Birchfire," the dark cream she cat meowed. Applefoot nodded. "Correct, Dandelionclaw."

Sunpaw leaned forward slightly, her mind drawing back the time when she had spied on Applefoot and Goldleaf before. But this was different. Applefoot leaped onto a pile of rocks. "Is everyone here?"

"Wait!" Birchfire, the newcomer, called. "We're still waiting for Pebblefall, Lilytail, and Nightwhisker."

Applefoot snorted but settled down on the rock pile. Sunpaw mimicked her, settling down on the branch. Suddenly, Blackspot threw her nose up and sniffed. "Wait!" She rasped lowly. "I smell something. CloudClan."

Sunpaw's heart froze and she pushed herself against the trunk of the tree. "It's nothing," Applefoot meowed. "You're smelling me, that's all."

Sunpaw breathing lightened, relief washing through her when she realized she hadn't been found. StarClan, if I had been found....

She shook her head, clearing the thought from her mind and looking around. Three cats were padding through the meadow. Birchfire rolled his eyes. "Honestly, guys, you have to be more careful. Some cat might smell you tomorrow!"

The one in the lead, a pitch black tom, smirked and shrugged. "Well, we won't be."

Birchfire rolled his eyes. Applefoot got back to her paws. "Alright, everyone, we need to talk."

The three newcomers, who Sunpaw supposed were Minnowflight, Lilytail, and Nightwhisker, sat down. Sunpaw settled back and Applefoot stepped forward. "I've been receiving dreams from Lilycloud, trying to be returned to the "light side" as she calls it. As if!" She snorted, and Lilytail let out a growl. "She's stupider than fox dung."

"Right, I've been talking with Cloverfur, and everything's going perfect. That Cinderpaw is sicker and sicker by the day. Clover's poisoning her. Apparently if you squeeze a little deathberry juice onto some catmint leaves and give it to a cat, it'll poison them. She's been giving it to her for the past moon. She's an evil genius!"

Sunpaw's breath caught in her throat. Cloverfur was poisoning Cinderpaw?! But why?

"And," Applefoot added, "I've figured something out. Silverstar's on her last life. If I can kill her soon... Then I can take over the Clans."

Sunpaw growled. Loudly. Applefoot looked up, as did all the other cats, and Sunpaw, terrified and horrified, quickly stood and hurried around the side of the trunk. She leaped away through the branches of the trees. "Follow her, Minnowflight!" She heard Applefoot yowl, so she ran harder, pushing through everything she had, and finally she reached the maples that lined camp. She could feel Minnowflight's breath hot on her tail, and she leaped off the branch. She realized she was falling awkwardly. She rolled and scrambled to her paws, then into the apprentice den. She swiftly ran into her nest and fell asleep, her breath coming hard and fast.

She didn't know where Minnowflight was. But she hoped to StarClan that she hadn't seem her.

AHH! OH MY STARCLAN!!! SERIOUSLY!! There was so much stuffffff!!!!!! Lol

Tomorrow I have a karate test! Going for my purple belt! Awesome and I love purple! Yeah! Wish me luck!

I also got no silent reader notes 😑 oh well

Hope you enjoyed, and I have to go. Thanks for reading! Also, please tell me your reactions. I bet you're all shocked. Especially at the Cloverfur stuff :P oh man that sounded conceited... JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU THOUGHT lol :D thank you!!!!!

~✨🐱✨ Rainfeather ✨🐱✨