Chapter Twenty Six

Sunpaw stared at Goldleaf. "What?!" she asked him.

He nodded, sadness clouding his golden eyes. "It's awful."

"So... so Applefoot's leader," Sunpaw said, staring at the ground.

"Yeah," Goldleaf said quietly, looking down also.

Sunpaw looked up and took a deep breath. The time had come to apologize. She couldn't stand being mad at her friend anymore. "Listen, Goldleaf, I can't stand this. I can't stand being mad at you. Even though I don't like Applefoot, I'm... I'm sorry."

Goldleaf looked up at her in shock. "You're... you're sorry?" He asked, disbelief lining his voice.

Sunpaw nodded.

Goldleaf grinned. "Excellent! That's excellent, Sunpaw. Because... well, you know I don't actually like Applefoot, right?"

Sunpaw's eyebrows flared. "What you don't?" It was hard to keep the interest out of her voice. StarClan, Sunpaw, you're not in love with the tom!

Goldleaf shook his head. "I... I never did. And like I said, those kits aren't mine."

"So who's the father?" Sunpaw asked.

Goldleaf shook his head. "I've no idea. It was a light gray tom with black flecks, if I can remember right."

Sunpaw's heart froze mid beat. She coughed, her blood like ice. "He... what?"

"Yeah," Goldleaf said. "It was weird. I'd never seen him."

But Sunpaw had. And she'd helped him, too, a few moons before.

It was Mint.

"It's... It's a kittypet named Mint," Sunpaw meowed faintly. Goldleaf arched his eyebrows at her. "Really? How do you know?"

A hint of sadness was masked beneath the question.

Sunpaw flushed. "I haven't been meeting him!" She protested. "I happened to be out walking one day and I found him and two she cats. They were wandering around, and we fought, and he got mad, and then a dog came and they ran into HollyClan territory." She didn't add how she'd followed them, then stopped.

Goldleaf furrowed his brow. "I think-"

Just then, a wail rose from the camp. Goldleaf looked up at it. "Come on, we should get back."

After climbing the slope and racing around, they ran into the camp. Sure enough, Silverstar was laid out in the middle of the camp, her slender body neatly laid out and groomed. It seemed odd, Sunpaw thought, to see a cat who had been so regal in the light of life to pass into the dark gloom of death. At least she would onl be dead for a little while, and then she would be with her family in StarClan.

Lightningfeather was sitting beside her, Cinderstorm leaning into him. Whiteswirl was watching her from afar on a rock, uncharacteristic sadness etched in his gaze. Skypelt, Amberclaw, and Snowblaze were sharing tongues half heartedly. Every so often, one would flick their gaze over to Silverstar.

Feathertail was sitting at the base of the Rock Pile, his head lowered and his shoulders hunched. Cloverfur and Applefoot were sitting together, conversing quietly. Applefoot flicked her tail, looked up, and glanced at Silverstar, with somewhat artificial sadness in her blue eyes.

"It's dreadful, isn't it?" A voice asked softly. Sunpaw turned to see Moonpaw standing there. In her haze, Sunpaw had not noticed her walk up.

"It is," Sunpaw replied, stepping forward and away from Goldleaf and Moonpaw and moving forward that she could see her fallen leader. And she realized that Silverstar was all it took before their world was thrust into a darkness. One tiny push from Applefoot, and they would all be dead. She could take over the Clans and kill all those who were foolish enough to stand in her way. She was unstoppable, undefeatable, and un-

Wait.

The prophecy. It mentioned something about a pool of sun. Maybe Applefoot knew the prophecy too- if she did, then she could fulfill it by first naming Sunpaw Sunpool as her warrior name, and then kill her. Or just let her die. Prophecies had to be fulfilled.

Sunpaw closed her eyes. She could be the light that saved the Clans from the darkness of Applefoot, or she could be the one who cut it off forever, swallowed by the shadow of evil.

And she could not choose. Applefoot had to. And since Applefoot was Applefoot, she would choose to name her Sunpool when she was leader. Just so her enemy could be eliminated.

And she could win.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY I FINALLY UPDATED! *Happy Dance*

Yeah. Sorry for not updating. I was busy, as usual >.< and I didn't have much time to write. Right now I'm putting up my Christmas Tree! :{D

And I don't know why this is so dang depressing XD OH WELL

~Rainfeather