Chapter Thirty-Seven

Sunpaw awoke the next morning with a feeling of dark apprenhension for the upcoming day. Frost hadn't told her exactly when the plan would be put in effect, and she could only guess at what would happen. Maybe StarClan couldn't just kill off cats whenever they wanted. Especially one who was as important as this one- one so crucial to the whole proceeding of life as they knew it and change from an awful leadership that it might just slip out of their paws.

Sunpaw really hoped that wouldn't happen. She wasn't sure how she would feel if he died and she never saw him again- she would have an awful feeling of responsibility and guilt, for sure.

Sunpaw glanced over at Moonpaw and Gingerpaw and saw how small they were, huddled together in two close nests. She hadn't realized how small they really were, and how big she must be now. It was strange to be almost twelve moons, when she honestly didn't really feel any different.

Shaking the thoughts aside, Sunpaw padded out of the den, squeezing through the tunnel, which had grown even more claustrophobic in the time she had been there. She was bigger now, no longer apprentice sized, and she would soon be too big to fit in without crouching at least a little.

Wriggling out, she blinked at the bright sunlight, then padded over to the fresh kill pile, glancing through it. She took two minnows and carried them over to one of the rocks, sitting down. They seemed to have had a brief, decent prey spell, which meant she was able to take the minnows without too much guilt. Eating them in famished, quick bites, she glanced around the camp.

Amberclaw was mounting the Rock Pile, Applestar was sitting with her kits, gazing at them fondly, and Cloverfur was looking around lonely. Applestar had returned from the StarBrook with nobody with her, she had claimed that she Featherpelt had been attacked and he carried off by foxes (Cinderstorm and Sunpaw had exchanged dark looks, then looked at Lightningfeather, who squirmed uneasily).

Lightningfeather was now conversing quietly with Goldleaf, and they kept flicking covert glances over their shoulders at Applestar, who didn't seem to notice. Sunpaw yearned to know what they were talking about - and just to be around Goldleaf, who she had decided she liked very much - but knew that for all of their safety, she should just stay away.

"Everyone, gather for patrols," Amberclaw called out. Sunpaw finished the last of her minnows and leapt off the rock, landing neatly on all four paws, then padded over to the Rock Pile, where the slowly-growing and awakening Clan were gathering.

"Lightningfeather, take Skypelt, Sunpaw, and Greenflower on a border patrol to FlowerClan," he said. Lightningfeather nodded, and Sunpaw began to make her way over to him. "I heard you're becoming a warrior later today," he meowed.

Sunpaw nodded. "Congrats," he mewed. "It'll be great to have you in the den. Goldleaf'll be happy." He raised sly eyebrows at him.

Sunpaw thought darkly of what she knew and shoved him with her shoulder. "Mhm."

~*~

When the patrol returned, it was sunhigh. Sunpaw knew that her warrior ceremony had to be any minute. So when Applestar got up onto the Rock Pile, she felt pure excitement wash through her, even though she knew what her name would be. This is gonna be great!

"All cats old enough to climb Sky Tree gather here for a Clan meeting!" Applestar called. Sunpaw felt excitement rush through her, and she practically tripped over her own feet as she made her way over. Smooth, Sunpaw.

When all the cats had gathered, Applestar looked around purposefully and said, "Sunpaw, please step forward."

Sunpaw stepped forward, every muscle in her body working to make sure she didn't step too soon or seem to giddy. Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Skypelt, has this apprentice learned the traits necessary for becoming a warrior?" Applestar meowed. Skypelt dipped her head. "She has," she replied, though her voice shook. Sunpaw wondered why.

"All right. Sunpaw, do you promise to defend this Clan even at the cost of your life, and uphold the warrior code until your dying breath?" Applestar inquired.

"I do," Sunpaw vowed, feeling pure energy run through her veins like flame.

"Then I call upon the power of StarClan and give you your warrior name. StarClan, look down upon this apprentice, who has trained in your code. I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn."

Sunpaw was briefly aware that she was changing the way it was spoken, but didn't really care. It didn't have to be perfect.

"Sunpaw. By the power of StarClan, I name you Sunpool." Stepping forward, Applestar pressed her muzzle to the top of Sunpaw's head, and she licked her shoulder. A vein of terror slammed through her, even though she had known in the back of her mind that there was a very good chance that Applestar would name her that. As she stepped back, she saw Applestar's eyes glittering.

Sunpool heard cats shouting her name, but couldn't feel anything. She was numb all over. She was going to die.

"Clan dismissed!" Applestar said, and a press of cats surrounded her, shouting congratulations, but Sunpool would later remember it as only flashes of black, white, and gray, and intellegable shouts as she spiralled away into the depths of her mind. Her days were numbered, her heartbeats soon to slow and stop. Some day, soon, she was going to die.

Hello everyone. I finished this book, but then I wanted to change the way... well, someone dies, so that's going to be in the next chapter. Thanks for checking in!