Chapter Thirty-Two

Goldleaf sat in his nest, staring off into space, and wishing that he was just the little gray cat that nobody had noticed back when he was a kit.

Of course, Moonpaw had noticed him. She'd befriended him the day after she was born, and soon she, Lightningfeather, and he had all been closer than siblings. They did everything together- and when Goldleaf was apprenticed first, Moonpaw and Lightningfeather had cheered like their lives depended on it.

Then Applefoot noticed him, and then everything went wrong.

While Moonpaw and he grew closer, enclosing themselves in a little bubble with just the two of them that even Lightningfeather couldn't penetrate, Applefoot had seemed jealous, and had seemed to begin to hate Moonpaw. Then there had come that fateful day when he was a warrior, and Applefoot and Moonpaw went out for a walk together, and Applefoot returned, bloodstained and wild-eyed, proclaiming that Moonpaw had been attacked by a fox.

Goldleaf had grieved all night, and begun to slowly shut his emotions up, so that nothing like this would ever hurt him as much as this had.

And then he found Sunpaw and something in him seemed... to stir.

In truth, Sunpaw reminded him of Moonpaw- stubborn, sarcastic, and a fantastic fighter. But where there had been bright colors and feelings pulsing from Moonpaw, Sunpaw had been different- quieter, and more secretive, and there seemed to be a distinctive dark vibe emanating from her. She was different from Moonpaw- but not so much that she didn't interest Goldleaf.

And now he was in love with her.

There was no denying it. Goldleaf knew what he felt, because he had felt a shade of it before, with Moonpaw- but nothing ever, ever as strong. Sunpaw could make his heart speed up with a single glance, and she had a way of getting under his pelt and keeping him on her toes that Moonpaw never had. He was in love with her, but was afraid that she didn't feel the same with him.

That was why he had become Applefoot's mate- to protect Sunpaw. Applefoot hadn't really seemed like she really liked Goldleaf, and he knew there was some other reason she fought so hard to be his mate, especially when she was off having kits with some other former-kittypet, but he didn't want to endanger Sunpaw by becoming her mate when Applefoot was still there.

Maybe someday, he thought with a small sigh.

"Daddy?"

Startled, Goldleaf whipped around. Briarkit was there, watching him with those bright blue eyes of hers. Goldleaf bit his lip. Now Applefoot was pretending the kits were his as well, dumping them on him, which hardly seemed fair. But Goldleaf couldn't be nasty to the kits- they were, kind of, his family, and he loved them, and it wasn't their fault who their parents were. "Yes, honey?"

"What are you thinking about?" Briarkit asked, sitting down next to him and wrapping her dark brown tail around her paws.

"Oh, nothing, dear," Goldleaf replied with a gusty sigh. He nudged her with his tail. "Go on, go play with your sisters. I'm alright."

"Okay..." Briarkit meowed, sounding unconvinced. But she got up and left, calling out, "Hey, can I join?"

Goldleaf sighed, again. Life was so confusing.

~*~

Cinderstorm's eyes were wide as Sunpaw resurfaced. "No. Way. That is too cool!!!"

Sunpaw grinned at her friend's excitement. "Not as cool as yours, though," she replied. "I mean, think about what you could do with that! You could spy on people, on enemy Clans, if you wanted, and gather informat.."

She trialed off, suddenly getting a thought. "Hey, Cinderstorm."

"Yeah?"

"Have you ever thought of spying on... well, spying on... Applefoot? And kinda finding out if she's planning anything?"

Cinderstorm shook her head slowly, her eyes unfocusing. "No... but that is a good idea."

"Yeah," Sunpaw said, quickly debating with herself. "Alright, listen. So, say you wanted to go see Applefoot now. Could you?"

Cinderstorm nodded. "Yeah."

"Okay," Sunpaw said. "Okay. This is brilliant..."

HELLOZUL!

Shorter chapter because I was kinda rushed and I had to go do something. This book probably won't be finished by the end of winter break. :( Oh well! At least by February, this will be finished, though.

I SPELLED BRIAR RIGHT EVERY TIME SWIFTIE HAHAHAHAHA

Uhh... yeah.

Please check out my Fandoms Facebook! It's on my profile! :D

BAI!

~Rainfeather