Chapter Thirty-One

Sunpaw woke with a start to Cinderstorm shaking her urgently by the shoulders. "Sunpaw! Get up!" She meowed.

Sunpaw blinked at her in confusion. "W-what-"

"I need to show you something!" Cinderstorm interrupted. "Please. Here, come out in the forest with me."

She waited impatiently for Sunpaw to get up, and when she did she tore outside. She stopped abruptly a heartbeat later, and Sunpaw nearly walked into her. "What?" Sunpaw grumbled crossly, moving around her.

"The snow..." Cinderstorm breathed.

Sunpaw looked out and did a double take.

Snow was covering up the entrance, blocking them in. There was a tiny hole in the top, and if Sunpaw squinted, she could just see out enough to tell that the entire camp was covered in snow.

"No..." Sunpaw murmured. "It can't have risen this quickly!"

"I don't even... how could this have happened?" Cinderstorm asked thin air, poking a paw into the snow. The paw came back covered in thick, wet snow. "I was just out there, sitting vigil for Snowblaze! And now it's so high!"

"Maybe we can dig our way out," Sunpaw muttered. She stepped forward, then wondered if her power would be of any use.

Technically, snow was water. If she could get into it...

"Alright, Cinderstorm, I'm gonna try something crazy here, so just wait," Sunpaw said, making up her mind. Without waiting for Cinderstorm to reply, she leapt into the snow.

The snow was freezing, sticking to her pelt and driving itself into her skin, chilling her to the bone. Her eyes squeezed shut automatically, and she let out a soundless scream of cold. As she opened her mouth to scream, snow dropped into her mouth, choking her. She cursed and battled her way up to the surface. 

She broke the surface of the snow and gasped, her eyes streaming with cold. She shook her head vigorously and climbed out, hurrying over to the hole. "Okay, Cinderstorm!" She called. "I'm going to dig you out, so just be ready."

She began to shovel away at the snow. Cinderstorm did the same on her end, and soon Cinderstorm had hauled her way out. She blinked. "I can't believe all the snow..."

"I know," Sunpaw said. "Anyway, what did you want to show me?"

Cinderstorm blinked, then nodded. "Okay. Okay, um, well... I'm gonna close my eyes, and you need to go somewhere. Like, far off. Don't let me be able to see. Okay?"

Sunpaw sent her a weird look, but she had already turned to hide her eyes. "Um, okay," Sunpaw said anyway and turned, padding off in a random direction. She realized she was making her way towards Sky Tree, which she would have to climb in a moon or so, if she wanted to become a warrior, which she did.

Or maybe she didn't.

There was the prophecy to contend with, after all.

Sunpaw shook her head and continued on her way; she passed Sky Tree and climbed up in a willow tree, curling her tail around her paws. She waited for something to happen.

Thoughts swirled through her head- should I hunt? Should I call out and tell her I'm ready? What's she doing?

Does she have a power?

All of a sudden, she was met with a sudden weird feeling. It was like someone was there, beside her, and she just couldn't see them.

She had the strangest feeling that it was Cinderstorm.

All of a sudden, her gray friend materialized beside her, her expression revealing shock. "Whoa," she murmured. "What just..."

"What happened?" Sunpaw asked.

"Well..." Cinderstorm said, and sighed. "Alright. Fine. So, last night I was sitting with Lightningfeather, and suddenly, he just disappeared. Into thin. Air. So I was thinking about him, and what in the name of StarClan had just happened, and suddenly I was... next to him. But I couldn't touch him, and he couldn't see me, and I couldn't move and my voice was a whisper."

Sunpaw looked at her quizzically, her mind whirling. "Well-"

"It's weird, I know," Cinderstorm sighed, her head drooping. Sunpaw ruffled her shoulder fur with her tail affectionately.

"Don't worry, it's not that weird."

Sunpaw blinked and shrugged. "It doesn't change who you are. You're still my best friend."

Cinderstorm blinked. "Really? You mean it?"

Sunpaw nodded vigorously, then swiftly changed the subject. "But what about Lightningfeather- what happened with him?"

Cinderstorm shook her head. "I've no idea. I was only able to be with him, I think, because I heard his thoughts. I was focusing on him, and suddenly I heard his voice in my mind- what have I done? And the words kind of... I don't know, painted a picture for me, and it was so vivid and real, and suddenly... I was there."

Sunpaw nodded. "I get it, I think."

Cinderstorm gave her a look of shock. "Really? Because I don't."

"I mean, I get most of it," Sunpaw ammended. "Like, I get the part about cat's thoughts being the things that can teleport you, or whatever it is- maybe just allow you to see what's happening. But if the cat you're seeing is thinking about you - like I was - then maybe you can teleport next to them. So it goes both ways."

Cinderstorm's eyes were wide with unrepressed shock. "Whoa..." she murmured. "So deep."

Sunpaw chuckled bitterly. "I think we should probably watch Lightningfeather. Because something happened with him. And I don't know what, and I intend to find out."

Cinderstorm nodded. Sunpaw wondered briefly whether she should show her friend her own power, then decided she should. Cinderstorm had been brave enough to tell her- she had to return the favor.

"Alright, come on," Sunpaw said, leaping from the branch. Cinderstorm watched her curiously. "We're going somewhere," Sunpaw announced. "I have something I want to show you."

Heeeeeey people. So I'm not exactly keeping to my 'I'll update every day' promise, but I'm doing pretty good, don't you think? I'm not a very constant person, you know.

Anyway.

I'm planning on expanding this book a liiiiiittle bit longer, like a few more chapters, because I want some more Applefoot being bad moments in here so we fully understand that she's evil.

Like Tigerstar.

So I'm thinking of doing a book of extras from this series- like some in different character's POV, or how so and so became leader, or little scenes like Applefoot's leader ceremony or Featherpelt's POV as he died. It'll probably be up when I finish the series. I'll keep you all posted.

Anyway, time to sign off. Laterz!

~Rainfeather