Chapter Twenty-Nine

Applefoot padded along the trail to the Starbrook with Featherpelt. His tail swishing thoughtfully, he stared off into space, his gray pelt fluffed up against the cold.

She refused to look at him, lest she give away her thoughts. She may look like a leader, but inside, everything was a storm- a storm of darkness.

The fact was, Aplefoot knew she was evil. She accepted it. It was who she was, why she was put on the earth. She didn't want any cat to know yet, though, because had to do something. She wasn't sure what yet.

She was also feeling a little scared- if StarClan didn't accept her as the leader, then she would be powerless- without nine lives. Which meant she would be so much more vunerable.

And Featherpelt would know her secret.

If StarClan didn't accept her for who she was- a murderer, a liar, a con-cat -then she was in trouble. But Featherpelt would know too. And, as he was a medicine cat, he had a lot of power in the Clan. He could make cats believe that she was evil and was going to kill them all.

So she couldn't let that happen.

Because she was going to kill them all.

Unless they were loyal to her.

She and Mint were going to take over the forest together, uniting the Clans until there were two. They would live in harmony together, and nobody would be hurt. Applefoot and Mint would take care of that. Her kits, Cloverfur, Amberclaw, Gingerpaw- all these cats would be on her side. She knew the trained in the Dark Forest.

Just like Sunpaw had.

Despite her efforts to look cool, calm, and collected, Applefoot let out a growl. She couldn't stand that stubborn, bratty apprentice. All she did was ruin everything. She had no right to Goldleaf. She hadn't known him since he was born. She hadn't trained with him until they were made warriors, less than half a moon apart. She hadn't fallen in love with him, slowly but surely.

Applefoot had.

True, she was using Goldleaf- but she did love him too, in her own small, strange way. She loved him, but hated him at the same time, because he was pure and she was not. He was beautiful and she was the rat.

But she had power. He didn't.

She could control him, not the other way around.

As she swam through her thoughts, Featherpelt turned to her, stepping lightly in front of her. "Stop. Right. There," he snarled, which was unlike him. Confusion lanced through Applefoot, but she fought to keep her face emotionless. Show no emotion.

"Oh? Why so?" She asked, putting enough danger into her voice to let him know that she was in charge.

He narrowed his eyes at her. "I know what you've done. You're a murderer, Applefoot."

And he leaped at her.

~*~

Lightningfeather was sitting with Cinderstorm, his tail wrapped around her legs as she sat immobile against him, stricken with grief. He was far away in his mind, somewhere nobody could touch him, somewhere different from this place...

And suddenly he was with Applefoot, his sister, as she traveled along the path to the Starbrook with Featherpelt. Everything seemed fine- the sky was dark as it faded towards night, meaning they must be there soon. Stars sparkled in the sky. The moon, a clawscratch wide, was letting a small amount of light down onto the ground, which allowed him to see what was happening.

He saw when Featherpelt stepped in front of Applefoot and snarled at her. He watched as he leaped at her, claws unsheathed as he attacked.

Fear for his sister pulsed through him, even though he didn't like her at all, and anger at Featherpelt almost overpowered it. He snarled aloud, but Cinderstorm didn't seem to notice. His vision was red, hazy.

And suddenly he was there.

~*~

Applefoot rolled neatly, avoiding Featherpelt's attack, and leapt at him with unsheathed claws. It was then that she saw the black pelt against the night, heard the growl of malice as some cat leapt on Featherpelt.

She gasped and dove under Featherpelt's stomach, slashing at the soft skin. Featherpelt howled, and she looked up to see golden eyes staring at her, and suddenly she knew.

Lightningfeather.

She wriggled out from under Featherpelt as he screeched with pain, blood runnning into his eyes. Her shoulder burned where he had slammed his paw down into it, drawing huge amounts of blood. She grabbed Featherpelt's paw between his teeth and but down, shaking mercilessly. She felt a bone crack, and was glad. Nobody attacks me and gets away with it.

Rearing, Lightningfeather roared and raked his claws down Featherpelt's spine. Featherpelt flopped around to face him, moving sluggishly but moving all the same from loss of blood. Feebly, he swiped out a paw at Lightningfeather, and her brother dodged with a cruel smile on his face. Inside, Applefoot felt the faintest prick of worry. What happened to my gentle brother?

Well, that didn't matter. Because he was here, helping her to kill someone she needed killed. Featherpelt was someone who knew what she did- and could have proof to back it up. Besides, he was a medicine cat, and communed with StarClan. Everyone would believe him and would turn against Applefoot and her brother.

And that was not allowed.

With a call like a lion, she lunged forward and grabbed Featherpelt's neck, shaking it, just toying with him. Lightningfeather leapt forward and stared down at the medicine cat.

Then he bit the tom's throat.

Featherpelt bled out, his life trickling away.

Applefoot felt happy.

"Good job brother," she murmured.

~*~

Lightningfeather stared in horror down at Featherpelt.

The cat he had killed.

Had enjoyed killing.

His insides seemed to collapse. "What am I?" He whispered, his voice low enough so that his sister could not here him.

He really didn't know.

YAAAAAY UPDATE! MERRY CHRISTMAS, RAINY READERS! :D

Heh heh... different chapter than usual. I wanted you to get a glimpse of Applefoot's true nature and some of her crimes, because we never really get to hear much of who she really is when I'm focusing on Sunpaw.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! See you during tomorrow's update! Winter break is until January 5. Lots of updates are to be expected! :D

Bai bai!

~Rainfeather