Prologue: Plain Sight

"You like these Mya?" My mom asked while holding up a pair of Adidas. I nodded and followed her to the checkout counter.

"Can she have these in a size seven and a half?" She asked the lady while pointing at me. The lady nodded and proceeded to the back to get the correct shoe size. Tomorrow wasn't the first day of school, but I had to go shopping for clothes and all that good stuff because we haven't got the chance to do it yet.

"Alright, here you go. Seven and a half correct?" The lady asked as she put the shoes on the counter.

"That's right." My mother replied. After the lady bagged the shoes, I took them off the counter wanting to hurry up and get home.

"Someone's in a rush." My mother smiled while nudging my shoulder.

I shrugged. My mother nodded and we proceeded out of the mall.
*
*
*
*
"Go put your clothes away and take a shower." I nodded and went to my room. I threw my clothes on the bed and walked into the bathroom to do my hygiene things. After getting out of the shower I sat down on my bed and decided to scroll through Instagram for a while.

"Dinner's ready baby!" I heard my mom yell. I shot up from my bed at the sound of food and managed to run downstairs without falling.

"Chile, what I tell you about running down them stairs like that." My mother laughed.

"Sorry ma." I sat down to the table and stared at my food for a second before digging in. When I tell you I was eating good!

"The food ain't going no where Mya, calm down." I looked up to see my mother was serious and grabbed my napkin to wipe my mouth.

"Now when you get into that school try to stay out of drama. I know your transferring so the kids are going to want to talk to you. actually they might not even, they might just avoid you." My mother said rolling her eyes.

"Oh lord, I remember them days." I nodded and continued eating my food like I had some sense.

"I got this ma." I said giving her a smirk.

"What's that mean?"

"Nothing." I replied giving her a sweet, innocent smile. She just rolled her eyes. After eating dinner I went back to my room and prepared for bed. I watched people's story's on Snapchat and before I knew it, my eyes were closed shut.
*
*
*
*
I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. I groaned and hit the button for it to stop. I slowly but surely made my way out of bed. When I was standing on my feet I looked up towards the ceiling for a good two minutes. I rubbed my eyes, sighed, and then went to the bathroom to do my hygiene thing. I walked to my closet and looked through my clothes deciding to wear my yellow romper with my Adidas and denim jacket. I took my hair out of the bun it was in and left it out.

"Breakfast is ready babe!" I did a little dance of excitement and ran downstairs to eat.

"Mya." My mom sassed with her hand on her hip.

"Sorry." I grinned knowing she didn't want me running up and down the stairs.

"Well I have to get to work now. Make sure you catch the bus. Don't be late." She said before walking out of the front door. I walked into the kitchen and found she had made me some pancakes and bacon. But all I was wondering was where my eggs at? I shrugged it off and ate my food while scrolling through Instagram. After a while I checked my phone and decided it was time to go wait for the bus. I grabbed my backpack, phone, charger, and house keys. After that I walked out the door making sure to lock it and then walked a little ways down the street to my bus stop. Not too long after a bus rolled by and stopped in front of me. I read the number on the side and walked on.
*
*
*
*
After the bus dropped me off I walked to the office and received my schedule. I really didn't feel like asking anyone for help so I tried to find my way to class by myself. Not too long after I approached the correct classroom and scanned the room for a seat. A few people were looking at me but that's expected. They didn't bother me, a group of boys sitting at the back of the classroom did. A few of them just stared and the rest of them laughed. I mentally flipped them off but I didn't physically do it because my mom said it wasn't lady like. I rolled my eyes and took a seat in the front of the classroom. I looked at my phone and we still had a few minutes left before class starts.

"Hey lil mama." I looked up to see a fine caramel skinned boy.

"That's not my name." I said not wanting to talk.

"Then what is your name?" He asked. I looked at him for a moment before reaching in my backpack.

"You need this more than I do." I said while shoving a piece of gum in his mouth. I heard a few laughs from the back and smirked when I saw him grinning. He squatted in front of me and examined my face for a moment.

"You got a problem? Cause we can fix that." I sassed.

"What you gonna do?"

"I would smack you. But it's my first day here and I'm not trying to get into trouble today." I said while crossing my legs and focusing my attention to the front even though there was nothing there. I saw the boy nod from the corner of my eye and then got up to go back to his little group of friends.

"You'll come around." I heard his voice whisper in my ear which sent shivers down my spine.