Fresh Start

(Tray)

I actually told Tray that I'd stay with him. And like he said, whenever I call, he gon' be there. He wasn't lying either. He came and got me in less than 15 minutes. Now we both sitting on his couch smacking on some Chinese food which, he paid for. I had mad respect for him too because he wasn't bugging me to tell him about what happened.

"You good over there?" I licked the food off my lips and looked at him confused.

"Yeah, why?" He shook his head and started eating again.

"You been quiet for a minute. I was just checking on you."

"Oh." I went back to eating my food as well. It was a little awkward because no one was saying nothing for a good five minutes. I'm not with all this quiet crap so if there's something wrong I'd be happy to address the problem but I knew it was just because of me. He probably wanted a story.

"I guess I should tell you what happened then." I figured it be a good way to ease the tension.

"Nah, you ain't gotta do all that. If you really don't feel like talking about it you don't have to speak on it." I smiled a little. He was definitely a nice person.

"It's all good." I pursed my lips together before continuing. "Long story short, I found out that my boyfriend killed my mother. I broke everything off with him and when I was talking to my friend about it, she told me that she knew he did it. Me being me, I got mad and we got into a fight. Now, at the time I was staying with her and her family. Then her mother came out and basically told me to pack my bags and leave." I picked around at the food once I finished talking.

"Damn, you really had it goin' on huh?" I nodded my head and remained silent.

"Who was yo boyfriend?"

I sighed before telling him. "Ja'Quan."

"Nigga from highschool?" I nodded my head and set my food down on the coffee table. Tray did the same.

"You into them drug dealers? You seemed so innocent." I laughed a tiny bit. Everybody be thinking I'm a good child which I disagree with.

I shrugged. "I mean, he seemed sweet to me and he was the only guy I was talking to."

"Only guy you was talking to? Was it that or his looks?"

"His looks were one thing but he was also," I paused for a bit trying to remember why I had agreed to go out with him in the first place. I didn't know him like that. There wasn't a quality that I liked about him. He was just cute in my eyes. Now that I think of it, I don't think I liked Quan at all. I was just captivated by his looks. What made me agree to date him in the first place?

"Also?" He waited for my answer.

I sighed a little. "I guess I didn't really like him. He was just cute. He was the only person who I talked to when my mother died besides my friend. I just wanted to feel the same love that my mother gave me. But she wasn't there to do that obviously, so maybe I was just using him. It felt like there was a void in my heart that needed to be filled, and I was using him to do it." I never thought about what made me go out with Quan. But now that I sit down and really ponder over it, I just wanted to feel loved again. I looked at Tray who was just nodding his head.

"It be like that sometimes."

"You lost someone too?"

"My mom died from lung cancer." He ran a hand through his curls and sighed.

"Were you two close?"

"Hell yeah. We talking about the same woman that carried me around for nine months right?" I chuckled a little and nodded my head.