Accustomed

A MONTH LATER

Arianna and I were shopping for our graduation clothes. Graduation day was only a week away and I was honestly geeked. Even though my mother wouldn't be there, I was still happy nevertheless. I grew accustomed to her not being around. I never liked to dwell on the past or negative things, I always wanted to keep my life positive.

"We good here?" Arianna asked. I nodded my head. We payed for everything and walked back outside to her car. My phone started ringing when I got in. I looked down to see the caller ID and saw that it was Ja'Quan. I answered the phone and waited for him to talk.

"What you doing?" He asked.

"Just got out of the mall, why?"

"Nothing, I was just checking on you." He said.

"Oh, okay. Well, I'm fine. Talk to you later."

"Bye ma." He said before hanging up. Ja'Quan and I weren't dating, but we did become closer. He started to open up to me a little bit more but I never told him much about myself. About being adopted and my mom dying, that is. I looked through the front window of the car and noticed we weren't moving. I turned towards Arianna confused but she was just sitting there cheesing hard.

"What?" I asked.

"Y'all cute." She smirked.

"Girl, drive."
*
*
*
*
Ja'Quan

"Who you just call?" Trey asked me.

"Does it matter?" I mugged him.

"You got hoes?" I just started laughing at him.

"Do you?" He asked again.

"Mya not a hoe." I corrected.

"Oh, I didn't know you was talking about shawty." He said while walking into a store.

"What y'all got going on anyway?"

"We just friends." I said. He nodded his head and started picking up some shoes. To be honest, I had feelings for Mya, but I don't think she feel the same way.

"We got work to do today?" Trey asked referring to my dad.

"I don't think so." I said. I wasn't sure though so I pulled out my phone and called my dad.

"Wassup?" He answered after the third ring.

"We got anything to do today?"

"Yeah, I was just about to call you. I need you to make an exchange with somebody."

"Just give me the time and place and I got you."

"7:30 on the dot. I'll text you the address. Swing by the trap to pick up the briefcase."

"Trey coming too right?" I asked.

"No, just bring the case and yourself."

"Oh, okay." I said before he hung up. That's a little weird considering my dad always want me to take someone when I'm doing an exchange. They're always more dangerous than it sounds.