Chapter 18: Heartbroken

It had been about a week after Clementine had hurt her leg, and since she and Louis got into a fight. By now, Clementine could walk, but there was still some discomfort. What Clementine couldn't get out of her mind is what Louis had told her.

"Well, now I've lost someone, because of you!"

It echoed throughout Clementine's mind like a megaphone. Tears trickled down her face as she rested on her bed, knees up to her chest. She comprehended that Louis presumably didn't mean it, but it's not like he could simply take it back.

_____

Louis remained solely at the picnic tables, still pondering about the girl he cherished. His love for her was so unconditional, she didn't even understand. 

All of a sudden, a girl their age wandered inside the gates. She had small freckles on her face and dainty dimples. She had straight, red hair that reached down to her shoulders. Sophie. Louis furrowed his eyebrows as everyone gathered around her with grimacing looks on their faces.

"What the hell is she doing here?"

She disrupted everyone by putting her hand up. "I know I betrayed you all. And, I deserve everything that you guys do to me. But, I beg you. Please let me in. Everyone in the Delta is dead and-- I don't know where I will go. I have nowhere to go. I'll die out there. Please."

"Even if you're sorry, that gives you no excuse for how much trouble you've caused here. Minnie, Violet, and Aasim are all fucking dead, and Clem is injured really badly." Mitch growled, crossing his arms. 

The name Clementine made both Sophie and Louis furrow their eyebrows. (for different reasons). Louis stepped forward.

"Guys, maybe she's not lying. At the prisons, she said that wasn't even happy with her job there." Louis chastised, standing in front of Sophie.

"Really, Lou? Don't you see how much trouble she's caused? She even killed her own sister!"

"That wasn't her. It was Lilly." 

"I can't believe you're taking her side right now. She betrayed us, she even hurt your own girlfriend!"

Louis pouted reminiscing about Clementine. Without thinking, he shot back, "She's not my girlfriend." Everyone in the crowd flinched at his remark and broadened their orbs. Sophie, however, had a smirk expand on her face. "Look, if you think she's that bad, try and test her loyalty."

"And how the fuck will we do that?" 

"Figure it out yourselves." Was what Louis said before walking past the crowd, harshly bumping Mitch's shoulder with his.

Two hours later

Clementine got out of bed to accompany everyone for dinner. As soon as she escorted herself out the door to the dorms, she saw the face that she vowed to never look at again. Sophie's. She was at one of the tables with Louis. They were both laughing and talking. Witnessing this fragmented Clementine's heart into pieces. Did she fuck everything up? If she hadn't been so ignorant, the two would've made up by now. 

Louis saw Clementine coming out and looked down at the ground. Sophie discerned this and stopped laughing at the joke he just made. "Louis, you okay?" She asked, obviously concerned. 

"Uh-- yeah, can we go inside now? I have to tell you something." Sophie nodded before the two stood up and walked right past Clementine as if she was invisible. Louis didn't even look back at her once. 

Clem sadly walked over to one of the tables and sat down with Gabe. He looked up to see Clem on the verge of tears. "Clem, are-- are you okay?"

"No. No, I'm not okay. Everything is a mess. My leg is fucked up, Louis and I had a fight, and now Sophie is back to claim him." A single tear trickled down her face. Clementine looked up at Gabe. "He won't even look at me anymore, Gabe."

"Hold on, what did you guys fight about?"

"It was about how Violet died. He said it was my fault. He apologized-- and I fucking pushed him away. I'm such an idiot. It's all my fault--"

"No, it's not," Gabe argued. He still had a crush on Clem, but he wanted her to be happy. "Even if you pushed him away, that doesn't give him any excuse for what he said or how he's ignoring you now. You are an amazing person, Clem. If that's how he treats you after one fight, he doesn't deserve you."

"But, I still love him, Gabe. He's everything I've ever wanted. I want him back."

Gabe smiled. "Then you better get him back."

Clementine flashed an appreciative smile towards Gabe and nodded before running off into the direction of Louis and Sophie.

Javier heard the whole thing and gave Gabe a thumbs-up and a smile.

_____

Clementine knew what she was doing was wrong, but she couldn't let that boyfriend-stealer take Louis like that. Clementine made it to Louis' dorm only to see the door slightly ajar, revealing Louis and Sophie sitting on Louis' bed.

"Wow. I... I can't believe that happened." Clementine heard Sophie say. "Why would she just let her own friend die ?"

Louis looked down. "I want to forgive her-- I really do." 

'What does he mean by 'forgive her'? What did I do?' Clementine thought.

"You don't have to do anything," Sophie said as she placed her hand on top of Louis' "You don't need her."

A moment of silence filled the room before Louis responded. "I guess so."

Clementine's heart broke as she saw Sophie and Louis' lips connect. She let out a quiet sob before clutching the necklace that Louis gave her and throwing it on the ground. Louis opened the door and saw Clementine speeding off in the opposite direction, crying. He ran after her until Louis seized her wrist.

"Clem, wait!"

"What?!" Clementine turned around with tears trickling down her face fiercely.

"Clem, I-- I'm sorry! I didn't mean what I said!"

"Then, why'd you say it?! Why did you fucking kiss her?! I-- I get that you're lonely and all-- but cheating on me is not an option, Louis!"

"I know. I know it was fucked up. But I was just desperate, okay?"

"I don't care. Not anymore."

"What do you mean..?"

"I mean we're done."

"Clem, please don't do this."

"No, Louis. I'm done. We're obviously not right for each other."

Clementine wedged her hand out of Louis' grip and walked to her own dorm, leaving him alone in the hallway, regretting his own actions.

Oof, I'm sorry I made this so sad lol. But you all had to know this was coming soon. I'm not going to tell you if they're gonna stay like that or not, but let's just hope for the best, I guess.