Chapter 35: "Home"

Clementine and Louis finished rehearsing the song once again, before hearing slow claps from behind them. They whipped their heads around, surprised to see Jesus standing there. He held a small smile while walking closer.

"I'm being completely honest when I say this. I didn't think y'all would do it. Most folks around wouldn't even move a muscle just to make themselves feel comfortable. I like how you stood your ground." Jesus complimented, crossing his arms.

Clem flashed a smile. "Thanks." She chuckled, flashing a grin. Louis cocked his head to the side, silently admiring his girlfriend's beauty.

Jesus nodded before walking out. Clem and Louis took a glance at each other. Suddenly, a voice spoke.

"Hey," There stood a girl their age, a very pretty one. She had long, curly, brown hair that was tied up in a ponytail and green eyes that glistened in the light. Her skin was a milk chocolate color, making Clem assume she was biracial. Tiny freckles sprinkled her cheeks. She had an annoyed resting face, similar to Violet's. The girl wore a red, loose-fitting sweater over a graphic t-shirt, along with cargo pants. She stood there with her arms crossed, and her body leaning against the door frame. "You gotta nice song. Nice voices."

Clem smiled. "Thanks." She giggled. "Who are you?"

"I'm Millie. You?"

"Clementine. People just call me Clem." Clementine pointed to Louis who waved at her with a welcoming smile. "This is Louis."

"So, you guys are the newcomers." She stated, walking over to them and sitting down with the couple. "Where'd you come from?"

"Oh, we just came from a boarding school far off in the woods. That's not where I'm originally from, though."

"Ah, I see. I'm originally from Wisconsin. Before, I was in some orphanage when all this shit started." Millie glanced at Clem, noticing her pitiful stare. "No, no, don't feel bad. Uhm, it wasn't that bad."

Clem nodded. "I'm from Georgia."

Louis stood up, causing both Clem and Millie to look at him. "I'm gonna get something to eat. I'll be back later."

"Okay," Clementine muttered, loud enough for him to hear. He smiled, walking out the door.

"He seems nice," Millie said, wearing a smirk on her face. "Anyway, I wanna know more about you. Sorry if I'm being creepy." She chuckled. Clementine laughed along.

"Oh, well... I was about 8 when all this started. My parents left me at home while they were in Savannah. But they never came back. I met this man Lee that took care of until the end. He got bit because I followed this man who apparently knew where my parents were. I had to shoot him." Millie's face fell as Clementine's voice got softer and more fragile. "After that, I bounced around from place to place. I was in this group where AJ, the kid I'm taking care of was born. But the mother died from blood loss. After that, I took care of him and... raised him. And yeah, I think you can tell where the story went to."

"Wow. That's... wow. I'm... really sorry, Clementine." Millie placed a hand on Clem's shoulder, as she wiped the lingering tears that had dropped while telling her story. "I know how it feels. Bouncing around from place to place. You're not alone."

Clementine flashed a smile before standing up. "Thanks for letting me sob on your shoulder and stuff, I needed to let that out."

"Don't mention it. I'm known to make people cry." Millie snorted. Clementine laughed, holding out a hand for her. Millie gladly accepted it, standing up on her feet. 

The two walked out the door, chatting away with each other.

***
THREE DAYS LATER
***

It had only been a short amount of time, and Clementine and Millie were already hitting it off. A spark was immediately felt the moment they saw each other. Almost anywhere Clementine was, was with Millie if she wasn't with Louis.

Millie had left the bench her and Clementine were sitting on. As she left, Clem took a look around the place. Friends and family talking with each other, people laughing. AJ with his new friend. Not to mention, a new friend for Clementine. They were all the things that really built up the place. And had filled in the last puzzle piece in her heart.

It was the second, and possibly the last place that she could call home. It looked like home. It felt like home.

It was home.

***

He crouched behind the bushes, watching all of them. Watching them be happy. The one feeling that he couldn't feel. He furrowed his eyebrows, spitting on the ground, eyes filled with fury.

It was unfair.

It was unfair.

They didn't deserve to feel happy. 

Especially that girl.

"Clementine."

***