Chapter 25: Bit

Clementine stirred awake as she rubbed her eyes with her fists, squinting from the day-star. She looked over to Gabe who was still sleeping peacefully. Clementine chose not to wake him up, as they had a long walk later.

Clementine stood up, immediately regretting it as she stumbled and almost fell face first into the floor.

Clem cursed under her breath as she recovered her balance and looked around. She walked into the hallway where Christa had gone into the other night. Then, she saw the door. The door where Christa had gone into. Clementine presses her ear against it, checking if she could anything.

Nothing.

She wiggled the door.

Locked.

She backed up and grumbled in annoyance.

Clementine walked into an open doorway to her left, leading her to a small bedroom with a broken bed and a desk in the corner. Clem walked up to the desk and saw a picture without a frame. She briefly picked it up and examined it.

It was a picture of Christa and Omid smiling in some car. They were happy. That's when Clementine realized that Omid and Christa have been together before the apocalypse even began. To lose someone in such a ridiculous fashion, must be horrifying.

All of a sudden, Clementine heard loud crying from the room Christa was in. Clementine widened her eyes before running to the door and banging on it repeatedly.

"Christa! Are you okay?!" Clementine yelled out, trying her best to not attract any walkers. There was no response. Clem banged on the door again. "Christa!"

Clementine backed up from the door and rammed into it, immediately slamming it open. Unfortunately, the impact with her and the door caused her to lose her footing. Clementine fell to the floor as she groaned in pain. She looked up to see Christa sitting in the bathtub, (lol) with her aiming a gun at her head with tears trickling down her face.

"What the fuck are you doing?!" Clementine got up immediately and snatched the gun from Christa's hand and threw it on the ground.

"No! No! I need it!" Christa sobbed as she tried to grab it, but Clementine pushed her back.

"No, you don't! What the hell were you doing? You could've killed yourself!"

"That's because I was trying to!" Christa spat back harshly. Clementine was taken aback by the disturbing comment.

"Why?" Clementine's tone was softer now, revealing her sadness.

"I... Clementine, I'm... God, I'm so sorry..." Christa rolled up her sleeve to reveal a walker bite on her wrist, the same place where Lee had gotten bit. Clementine's breath hitched as she widened her eyes. No. This wasn't how it was supposed to go. Christa was supposed to live. She was supposed to help Clementine. "Clementine--"

"No! No, Christa! Why-- how did this happen?!"

"I'm sorry, Clementine."

"Answer my question!" Clementine yelled angrily. Tears started to run down her face. She couldn't lose Christa. Not her. She had lost everyone and now her?

"I got bit before I even saw you and your friend."

"Why... why didn't you tell me?"

Christa just shook her head before coughing. Her skin was already turning pale and she looked as good as dead.

"Clem, you know what you have to do."

Clementine looked at the gun and hesitantly picked it up. She turned off the safety and aimed it at Christa.