Chapter 28: Shadows

Not even a week later, and the word quickly spread around the school. Bags were being packed. Panic rose. More fights. The only person who didn't know was AJ. Clementine dreaded this moment and knew AJ would want to stay at the school. Just seeing the disappointed look on his face would break Clementine's heart.

Clementine stopped outside of Tenn's room and took a deep breath. She had wondered what she would say, and how AJ would react. Clementine set her hand on the doorknob, hesitantly turning it. She peered inside to notice AJ fiddling with a car that Tenn had given him. AJ looked up, his face beaming when he spotted Clem. 

"Clem! Check this out, Tenn gave me a car that had a thingy in the back!" AJ pointed to the cargo bed, still smiling. Clementine chuckled, sitting down next to AJ.

"That's a cargo bed, goofball," Clem assured him. AJ looked down at the truck once again, fathoming the new word he had just learned. "AJ... I have to tell you something serious."

AJ glanced up at Clementine. "We have to leave here. Soon." AJ furrowed his eyebrows, obviously confused about the situation.

"Leave? Leave to where?"

"Just... away from here."

"But... why? We didn't do anything!" Clementine sighed, knowing that she would have to be more direct.

"We didn't get kicked out. Everyone is leaving the school."

"No," AJ said, standing up and facing away from Clem. "You're lying! We're not leaving! You said it yourself, we'll die out there!" Clementine stood up as well before kneeling next to AJ.

"AJ, some people from Lilly's group survived! We don't know if there's more of them, and they're coming to hurt, possibly kill us! Leaving is the best option."

"Well, then, I'm staying!"

Clementine was taken aback from the sudden remark. She stood back up and stared at him, stunned. "W-what?"

"I'm staying!" AJ repeated, crossing his arms and scowling. "You can leave, but I'm staying. It's a mistake to go out there."

"AJ, do you even know what you're saying right now? I can't lose you. Louis can't lose you. Tenn can't lose you. If you decide to stay, you might be caught by the Delta and get hurt." Clementine scolded him, making sure he heard every single word. AJ listened carefully, rethinking his decision.

AJ sighed. "What are we gonna do?"

"Well, first, we have to find out where we'll go. Then, we'll start heading out."

AJ looked down and muttered, "Okay."

Clementine flashed a sad smile. "Thanks, kiddo. Tenn's in the headmaster's office if you wanna play with him." 

Clem was surprised when AJ shook his head. 

"I need to think about what a cargo bed is," AJ said, sitting back down and picking up the truck. Clementine chuckled and walked towards the door. 

"Well, I'll let you get back to that. See ya, goofball." Clementine said, closing the door behind her before AJ could say anything.

*

About an hour later, Javier hosted a meeting with everyone in the school. Everybody gathered around as murmurs and whispers spread across the crowd. Javi clapped a few times to get everyone's attention. The group was silent. Clementine and Luke stood right next to Javier, as the three were all practically leaders of the school.

"Okay, everyone! So, as we all know, some people from the Delta has unfortunately survived from the rescue we made." Javier pointed out in a booming voice, loud enough for everyone to hear." We don't know exactly if they could be a threat or not, or if they even have more people, but we do have some options in case they do. Run, fight, or surrender." 

"Of course, we expected y'all to not like these options, but it's the only ones we have. The only to choose one is to decide as a group. A vote." Luke chimed in, crossing his arms with a stern look on his face. More panicked whispers spread around. Everyone knew that if they made one slip up, the whole school would most likely die. Either all at once or one by one.

Clementine took out a map and spread it out on the table everyone was surrounding. She pointed to a specific area on the map. "Me and Louis were hunting when we found a caravan not far from the school. It looked abandoned at first until two people our age held us by gunpoint. One of the kids was a guy I had met when I was captured. Michael. He got pissed about how we destroyed his home and tried to kill us. That's why we were so injured when we got back." Clementine explained. "I had an idea that 3 or 4 of us go back to the caravan and look around for some type of evidence. It is risky, but we can't just sit here and hope they don't come here."

Most people in the crowd nodded and gave sounds of approvement. Javi looked at Luke and Clem as he flashed a small smile.

*

"Ugh! There's nothing here! What was the fucking point in coming here?!" Mitch shouted, flailing his arms like a maniac. Both Clementine and Louis glowered at him with their eye daggers.

"Keep your fucking voice down!" Clementine rebuked, shutting him up immediately. 

"Why did we bring him here again?" Louis asked sneeringly, rolling his eyes like Violet used to do. 

"Fuck you too, Louis." Mitch shot back. Clementine rolled her eyes at both of them. It felt like she was raising two more children with the one she already had.

"Clem! Look!" AJ pointed at the ground, catching Clem's attention. She walked over to AJ to find footprints from a boot, leading to the trees and bushes that lurked behind the caravan. Clementine took her knife out and tailgated the mysterious prints, totally overlooking the two bickering boys that were behind her.

Clementine pushed the leaves and branches out of her way, only to be met with nothing. Suddenly, a person jumped out from the shadows and tackled Clementine to the ground, making her let out a small yelp. Nothing else was heard, as the person covered her mouth with his or her hand. The person placed a finger on their mouth and slowly removed their hand from Clem's face.

"Who are you?" Clementine whispered. The person was about to answer until they heard Louis call out for Clem. The person stood up and began walking the opposite way from the caravan. They looked back at Clementine, their face still covered in darkness from the shadows. They faced away from Clem once again and ran in the direction, making Clementine only notice their long, dark, hair moving with each step they took.

"Clem? What are you doing here?" A voice spoke. Clementine whipped her head around and saw Mitch gazing at her worriedly. He held his hand out for her. "C'mon, we're about to leave."

Clementine looked behind her for the person who she assumed to be a girl. The girl was gone. Clem looked back at Mitch and took his hand, stepping out of the bushes.

*

"So, did you find anything?" Louis finally asked everyone. Mitch and AJ shook their heads in disappointment.

"What about you, Clem?" Mitch asked, still questioning the events that had occurred with Clementine.

Clem thought about the mysterious girl, and about how she acted. She tackled her, but didn't hurt her. She told her to be quiet, but left her anyway. Was it possible that she didn't want to be found? 

"No." Clementine simply said. Not giving anyone the chance to say anything, she turned her head away from them. Only one thing was on her mind. That girl. Who was she? And what did she want?