We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals

Song Choice: Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Five entered the donut shop of his childhood and sat on the stool his eyes first landed on. He rung on the small bell with a bit of impatience. With all that happened today, he wasn't in the mood to wait for a simple cup of coffee. Shortly after, an older man walked in and sat next to him. An elderly waitress finally came out, sighing as she wiped off her hands with a towel.

"Sorry, sink was clogged." She said softly with a slight chuckle at the end of her sentence. "So, what'll it be?" The man answered first since he was the first she looked at. "Uh, give me a chocolate eclair." The waitress nodded with a "Mm-hmm. Sure." When she finished writing the order down she motioned toward the younger looking male with her pen. "Can I get the kid a glass of milk or something?" Five scoffed bitterly. "The kid wants coffee. Black." Both adults looked at each other with surprised expressions. She chuckled, thinking he was kidding and looked at the man again. "Cute kid." When she faced Five again he gave her a wide, evil-innocent smile that made a chill run down her spine. "Okay." She hurried to the donuts as Five sighed, taking a look around the empty shop.

"Don't remember this place being such a shithole. I used to come here as a kid. Used to sneak out with my brothers and sisters and eat doughnuts till we puked. Simpler times, huh?" The man was now even more confused than before as he responded with an "I suppose." The waitress cleared her throat when she placed down both orders. "Here." Before she could say anything else the man gave her money, "I got his."

Five looked at the man with an unreadable expression but thanked him nonetheless. Five looked to his right and flinched a little. Right next to him was a teenage girl fiddling with a deck of cards.

"Hellooooo." The female said with a foreign accent. The female had dark skin and white hair tied in low pigtails. "...Hi." Five responded with slight suspicion. 'Was she there the whole time?'

"Would you like me to read you?" The female asked out of the blue. "Pardon?" Five questioned with a cocked eyebrow. The female gathered the cards in front of her in a stack then smoothly twisted them so that Five could see how many cards there were. "Pick one." Five caught onto what she meant and shrugged. "I don't believe in fortune telling but why not?" Five pulled out the card that called out to him the most and without looking at it, he placed it on the counter and slid it to the girl. "Now let's see which subject will play the most important part of your life." The girl said with a smile and flipped over the card slowly, leaving Five a little bit anxious.

Five didn't believe in fortune telling things since he was always one who sided with logic but he couldn't help but be a little nervous about what the fortune teller would say about his future, especially since it might have something to do with the apocalypse. "The thing that will play the biggest role in your life is... love." Five had to stifle a scoff.

"Love?" Five thought that was total bs. How is love gonna play the biggest role in his life over the apocalypse, the end of humanity?

"Shall we see what your lover will be like?" The young woman asked with a natural smile. Five sighed with an "I guess". "Give me your palms." Five obligated and hesitantly gave his hands to the teenager who closed her eyes when his hands were in her grasp. She started to rub in different directions on his palms, which made him slightly uncomfortable, but suddenly stopped and opened her eyes, appearing to be shocked. "What is it?" Five said with a shaky tone of voice. Maybe the person he meets has something to do with the apocalypse?