12: The Past [I Vanwie]

"You leaving?" Aila asked as she looked around.

"Yes."

"I want to come with you, Elran." She begged. But Elran shook his head.

"You have a family to look after." He said and glanced back.

"Please, I also want to know the truth of this existence and everything. I want to go with you."

"Aila, as your true friend, I want you to stay away from such things. Please, look after your family. My brother will abandon his own daughters if you will leave. I know him more than you." Elran spoke as if he was in a hurry and wanted to leave as soon as possible. "I have less time and besides I have to see my wife before I go."

"You have a family, too. Why leave them?" Aila asked and took a step forwards. But Elran shook his head and smiled.

"If my daughter will lose me, she still has a mother, who will become her father at the same time. But your daughters won't be loved. And Elmyra is too young to be separated from you. Please, for her sake stay." He begged her as his voice broke and he turned around. Aila wanted to stop him, but she failed. He silently walked away and left his friend alone in the dark.

Elran walked towards his rooms, where he knew his wife will be waiting for him. As he opened the door, someone grabbed his arm and pushed him inside. He looked up and saw his wife, with a finger on her lips. He looked towards the bed and saw his daughter sleeping. He nodded and locked the door from inside. They walked in the balcony of their room and stared at the moon.

"Must you leave, Elran?" His wife asked, her voice soft as a flower and calm as a queen. Her black hair was tied in a ponytail, with few pins to indicate her royalty. She always carried herself as a queen.

"I am afraid so." He replied and hugged her. "Take care of her. I may not see her again." He whispered in her ear and pulled back. She wasn't crying, and that was no surprise.

"We will be waiting for you." She said and looked inside the room. "Stay safe." And slowly walked inside the room.

"Thank you," Elran whispered and jumped from the balcony and vanished into the night.

Days slowly passed by, no one noticed Elran's absence except for his youngest brother and father. His wife was called by the Leader of the Lakelight Clan and asked her where his heir was. She helplessly answered his questions and told him that he had left to seek the truth that was forbidden. That made his father angry and he told everyone to tell Elran to return home as soon as possible or never see them again. Elran had five brothers and one sister. He was the eldest, whereas his sister was fourth. She was in the middle of six brothers.

Aila, after about ten days, went to Fendra Lakelight's house. She knocked on the door and waited for a few minutes. Footsteps sounded from inside and the door clicked open. "What are doing here?" Fendra asked as she looked around her.

"I want to talk to you," Aila said and moved forwards, but Fendra didn't give her enough space.

"You know I am confined in this house. Leave."

"Fendra who is it?" Someone called from inside and Fendra bit her lips angrily.

"No one brother." She called back and looked at Aila. "Leave, or you will be in trouble too." And the door was locked from inside. Aila kept staring at the door. Elran had forbidden Fendra's brother to step in his house because of his friendship with Kegin. But why was he here, now. Aila quietly ran back to her house, hiding in the shadows all the way.

Days passed but Elran didn't return. Fendra couldn't stop but worry about him. The deadline for his arrival ended a day ago. Now his father won't let him stay here, in the castle of Lakelight Clan. Her daughter hadn't asked questions about Elran. She tried her best to keep her busy with her work. Teaching her to fight and defend. But for how long will she keep doing it.