15: The Beginning [I Yesse]

Ruven warmed her room and laid her on her bed. The maids have changed her wet clothes while he warmed her room. She was a dead weight in his arms. He was turning to leave when she grabbed his wrist and he looked at her. She was staring at him with horror in her eyes. Ruven stopped and sat by her side. She moved her hand away and looked at the ceiling.

"Are you feeling okay?" He asked, as her color was still pale.

"Better than what I thought." She replied and closed her eyes. She never thought of living again. The shadows tried to kill her on Kegin's order and he will never forgive. He looked at her and his fire grew wild in his body, but he shut away from the thoughts and looked away from her.

"I'm sorry," Thessalia said and looked at him.

"For what?" He asked without looking at her.

"For not loving you back." Ruven didn't reply and kept looking away from her. "Though you are better from them all. All those who claimed to love me. The first man was a human who lived within the tribe. But I asked him one thing that..." She stopped and looked at him. "May I ask you something?" She asked, staring at his back. But he turned and looked in her eyes and nodded. "What will you give me in return for loving you?" She looked back in his eyes with her mind whirling.

"Love, which every single human being deserves in this dark world and protection which everyone searches for in this monstrous world. I will give you what you will demand from me. Even if you will ask for my soul, I will give it. And loyalty, I will never let you question it." He was true to his heart and tears rolled her face and she bit her lower lip.

"I asked the same question from that man, but he promised me to give me love and happiness, which I never needed. I rejected him and moved forwards. But the second man I met was who made me fall for him. He promised the same things as you and lived for years with me, but Kegin killed him... brutally. I never knew it was him until he himself spoke of it. It was when I befriended Ethlando. Ever since then whoever I met never promised to give what I wanted and I kept on living." She stopped and looked away. Ruven sighed through his nose and asked.

"What was his name?" He knew she will understand what he meant.

"Ruven. His name was also Ruven." She replied but didn't look at him.

"I will kill Kegin for him and you." His heart was broken. Her first love was long since gone. He was lost.

"Ruven, I didn't reject you." She said softly and he looked at her as she turned her face towards him. "You are only one left for me." She said and she raised her left hand and touched his cheeks as tears fell.

"Thank you, Queen of Light." Ruven bowed his head and stood up but Thessalia stopped him and begged him to not leave her until her brother arrives. She was scared to be alone again. She fell asleep as Ruven waited for Ailwin, but he didn't come. He fell asleep by her side but didn't touch her body as he faced her and closed his eyes. Soon sleep consumed him and he was dreaming of his nightmares and desires.

***

"Don't," Ailwin said as Lixiss tried to open the doors of Thessalia's chambers.

"Then call him yourself." She almost shouted.

"Let him stay by her side."

"She can't have him nor him her. What are they dreaming of is useless." She was true, but he will make sure for his sister to get what she needed.

"Yes, but they can. She possesses the power of Lakelight and Moonscribe. And as for Bloodfire, I will see to it."

"This is utter madness Ailwin!" Ailwin glared at her and opened the doors to Thessalia's chambers. Slowly he moved through rooms and stopped in front of the bedroom door. It was warm inside and he felt Ruven's powers guarding the chambers. He sighed and opened the door without making a noise and stepped in. He stopped dead and moved aside for Lixiss, who didn't move after finding her brother sleeping with Thessalia. She wanted to wake him up but Ailwin grabbed her arm and took her out of the room.