25: The Distance [I Haered]

Ailwin waited till the other three were gone and then walked towards the Raventears Clan. He found Ryfon on the roof of the castle, staring at his clan with no emotions in his Raven eyes. Ailwin walked towards him and stood by his side for a long time before speaking. "Why did you leave so soon?" Ailwin asked and folded his arms over his chest. Ryfon looked at him and turned to face him.

"Ailwin, I have lived for so long. But I made one mistake that took away my family from me and killed the Bloodfire Clan Leader. I can't forgive myself for what I did."

"Lord Ryfon, what was it the mistake that cost you so much?" Ailwin asked, still looking at the clan below. A cool wind was blowing as they talked, clouds slowly covering the sky and mist starting to rise from the grounds.

"That day I should have listened to the Bloodfire Clan Leader and before that to your father and never have helped Kegin from the beginning, leaving him alone later on." Ryfon's voice was full of regret and anger. He turned around and started walking away.

"Is it all?" Ailwin asked without looking back.

"It is." And the next moment Ailwin was standing alone. He sighed and stayed there for long enough to see the dusk. He wanted to cry, but there were no tears to cry. His eyes were dry. He didn't feel any emotion anymore. What had made him so dead? He looked down and caught glimpse of the tower of Lakelight Clan. His heart sank and he smiled. Riniya took his emotions and feelings away with her. She had killed him while she saved him. He turned around and walked towards his own Clan.

He sat on the wall and looked at the moon. The full moon was still one month away. He wanted to hear the song again. He wanted to sing it with his sister.

"Ailwin," Orrian said and stood behind him. Elora walked to them and glanced at the moon before looking down at Ailwin.

"Orrian," Ailwin replied, acknowledging him. They stayed there for three hours before Ailwin stood up and looked at them. "Take care of Thessalia and Ruven. They need you more than me." And then he turned to face Elora. "You were with Thessalia for as long as your brother. I want you by her side every second now. I don't want to lose her. Not anyone else." He smiled and walked past them and down the stairs. He held his head high as he walked towards the castle gates. He had kept his promise to his father. His father had known that he possessed the power of all seven Clans and Thessalia possessed the characteristics of all seven. He looked in front and saw Thessalia walking towards him. She stopped in front of him and grabbed his hand, leading him away from the path which they usually walk on.

"Ailwin, I want to know about our father. You love him more than mother, while you hated him when he was alive." She was looking confused. Ailwin laughed quietly and looked in her eyes.

"He loved us more than anyone, but he never got a chance to show it when he was alive. And today we are alive because of his sacrifice." Ailwin said and took a deep breath.

"But I can't understand." She replied and looked at his mark.

"Your father loved you more than himself." A voice came from behind them and they looked behind to find Elmyra walking towards them. She was wearing a plain black dress, which was flying around her with the wind. Her white hair was open and flying in the wind as she walked with careful steps. Ailwin smiled and looked away. Her red-blue eyes shining in the moonlight.

"What are you doing here?" Thessalia demanded and moved in front of her brother.

"I came here just to tell you both something that I can't speak of. I risked my life for it. Along with my friends." She said after a pause. "Ailwin I am ready to fight with you. But I need you to know that your father couldn't show love to you both because he came to live in this very castle. His titles were taken away from him, along with his birthright. He left his family and home behind. His two brothers left soon after him, abandoning their powers and everything else. And one night the remaining three brothers were murdered, including my father."