16: The Wedding [I Vestale]

Thessalia didn't know what to do about the fact that she should marry Ruven. But at the same time, she wanted it to happen as soon as possible. One day Ruven and Lixiss came to their household and talked to them about the plans. Thessalia just listened to them and kept staring at the grounds beyond. She didn't want to look at any of them for a moment. She sighed time by time and was lost in her dreams and thoughts.

"Wake up." Someone said from behind and she turned around to see Ruven smiling at her. He will tease her again and again until she will burst out, that she knew very well. Ailwin glared at him with a warning and he backed away.

"Why hide it and then reveal it after a month or so?" She asked, confused.

"It is better this way, Thessalia," Ailwin said and looked at Ruven and Lixiss. "Kegin will kill you if he will know. I don't want that... that to happen." The three of them knew he changed the sentence but didn't say a single word. Thessalia nodded and walked out of the halls. She felt tired of walking around the castle now and then.

"Feeling bored?" A voice called from behind and she turned. Moonlight filled the dark corridors. A figure walked towards her. She knew him because of his style. But she bit her lower lip and sighed.

"Not exactly." She replied and started walking, who knows where. Ruven read her face closely and smiled to himself. He surely was ruthless. They walked silently side by side. She wanted to ask him about his opinion but didn't utter a single word. She wanted to know what he thought about her reaction and everything. When she reached the corridor leading to her rooms, she turned and grabbed his right elbow, nicely.

"Ruven. I want to..." And her words were lost. Ruven pinned her against the wall and looked into her eyes, with brutal wildness.

"Kill me next time I try to hurt you." He whispered and his face softened. Thessalia gasped for breath but didn't break his stare.

"What's wrong?" She silently asked and he put his head on her right shoulder. She stopped breathing.

"I can't control it, Thessalia." His voice was trembling. With fear or grief, she couldn't tell.

"Ruven?" Her voice low as a whisper and she felt his body trembling.

"My powers are killing me. Ailwin and I are bound to be swallowed by our powers. Please, help us. We need you." He fell on his knees and she sat by his side and hugged him. She knew how it felt to be eaten by the powers, only that his powers were stronger than hers. He pressed her closer and tears fell on her bare shoulders. She closed her eyes and sat still.

Ailwin stared at them from the darkness of the corridors and walked away. Lixiss followed him without uttering a single word. He felt glad for her silence. They walked alone, the only light was of the moon. Ailwin felt his powers eating him alive. He looked at Lixiss who was staring at him. "Your body is glowing white." She pointed out and he looked at his hands and sighed.

"It wants to destroy. It loves it that way." He laughed and continued walking.

"It?" She raised her brows as she followed him.

"My powers. It is sweet to push them back." Ailwin was enjoying it while she swallowed hard and cleared her throat.

"You are talking as if they are some living thing." She said and looked out of one of the windows.

"Oh! They are!!" He felt excited and smirked as he looked at her. She glared at him and looked away.

"Idiot." She snapped and Ailwin laughed. "What's funny?"

"You are." He replied catching his breaths and ran away. She saw fire appearing around his footsteps and realized that his powers were getting out of control. She sighed and looked around. Their place was much haunted than the palace of Bloodfire. She closed her eyes and tears rolled down. She slowly walked towards the moonlight gardens and looked around the too empty halls and grounds. It was once the noisiest place. Children of servants playing and running around. But the battles changed them. She ran towards the walls and climbed them without much difficulty. She reached the top and looked around, her hair flying in the wind. She smiled and ran down the walls, then through the tribe and up the roads, towards her home. Her home. She could still feel the feeling of being alone. She should help her brother even if it meant for a few days of happiness, she should help him.