31: The Sunlight [I Aurë]

Ailwin jumped and landed away from Kegin, breathing fast. He had lost again and again. He was failing in summoning his full powers. He failed and yet only Sapphirus's weakening bond kept him standing. He should get to the others, or he will lose them without saying goodbye. He threw his duel daggers at Kegin and leaped in the air, summoning all of his Lakelight's powers and directing them towards Kegin. He will never show mercy to such a person. He will never leave the world at his mercy. He didn't even stop to look at Ruven, who was fighting far from him. But he was alive, it was all he needed. And above all, Bowster and Aurora Clan Leaders had come to aid them.

Ailwin ducked as Kegin swung his sword at his neck, and kicked Ailwin in his face, knowing that the attack will miss. Ailwin fell back and hit the ground that made him grit his teeth to stop himself from crying out in pain. His spear fell away from him and he closed his eyes, trying to regain his strength. He felt Kegin walk towards him, but he didn't move, just his eyes closed and darkness swallowing him. He didn't want to fight and yet he had to. He opened his eyes as he felt Kegin standing by his side, not making a move to kill him. And when he looked in those furious eyes, what he saw was pain and tiredness, a longing for death and peace. He stared in those eyes, never looking away. Kegin looked at their right and smiled as if he was satisfied. He sat by Ailwin's side and put his sword down.

"I will never forget the kindness and light that Elran gave me, showing me the path that I had forgotten, but he turned his back when I needed his light the most. Ailwin Moonscribe, I was cursed by those I loved and wanted to live with. I had loved only one woman in my life. And her looks were what people treasured, but I treasured her heart. Ochilysse looked just like that woman.

We had decided to live together forever, but her family was mages, one of the strongest ones. And they hated me because I was a common man. They tried to kill me many times, but I was lucky every time. I survived. We tried to run to some faraway land, but she told me that it will take time for her. And, so I waited. And then the day came when she came to me and told me that she will never be able to live with me, because she was marrying someone else. And it was the day when the Nobles of Leran Entheas attacked Ashborne and she was caught in the middle of the war. One of the Nobles killed her right in front of me and looked at me as I ran towards her and held her body in my arms, crying for Gods to let her live.

But I was bound to be the villain. And the Noble who killed her was the Clan Leader of Viento Clan. He knew from that very moment that what he did was going to make the prophecy true. He ran away when her family came running towards us and found her dead in my arms, and everyone else by our side dead burned to the ground. She had warned me to run away and let her die, but I stayed. And my biggest mistake was not to listen to her. And so her father and brothers cursed me with all the magic they had. They cursed me that I will always greed for power and die for it. And I will never be able to love anyone, even my own children. I never understood what I did wrong. But I killed that family and so all the other mages. And that Noble Clan Leader entered the eternal sleep, leaving his son, Rathal Viento behind all by himself.

I forgave that Noble, but never the mages. It wasn't his mistake that made me a monster. And only Moonscribe were the ones who could make me stay sane. But when your father came to know about my evil deeds, he left me. His biggest mistake was to leave me, to turn his back on me. And my biggest mistake was to never tell him about my curse, or he would have found a way to undo it. He even died not knowing about it." Kegin smiled and Ailwin stared at him as tears rolled down his face, but he seemed not to notice. Ailwin sat up and laughed.

"But today, we are enemies, Kegin." Ailwin lowered his head and then felt a sharp pain in his chest. He looked down and saw Kegin's sword through his chest. But Kegin was looking at his sword with wide eyes. It wasn't him who had just stabbed him. Ailwin fell on the ground and found Ethlando standing there with anger and hatred. He had killed Ailwin just like that.