T W E N T Y • S I X

« Ombre d'un doute »

     Reggie and Clemintine made awkward eye contact as they passed each other in the hall. Even if Clemintine were to forgive him, she didn't think they could be friends again. But, because she had such a large heart, she hoped that that wasn't the case.

The blonde continued her walk down the hall. She glanced around her at the other students in said hall. Some were smiling, others frowned, just as normal teenagers do. She found herself becoming envious of the smiling teens. Life seemed so easy for them. But then, she calmed herself. You never know what people are battling inside. Even the happiest people get sad sometimes.

"You doing okay?" Jughead asked her upon closing his locker. She hadn't even realized that she had stopped at his locker.

"Jug, did you see it?" Toni's frantic voice echoed through the hall as she approached, thus stopping Clemintine from answering Jughead.

"See what?" Jughead asked. His brows furrowed.

Toni held up her phone for the two to see. A video of Fangs and Midge inside her dressing room played. "Fangs was dating Midge and didn't tell Sheriff Keller."

"Where'd you get this video?" Clemintine asked, taking Toni's phone so that she could get a better look at the video.

"It was posted on The Register's website, somebody leaked it. It makes Fangs look guilty as sin."

Jughead sighed and Clemintine ran a hand through her hair.

The PA system then crackled, making Clemintine's heart skip a beat. She knew what was coming. "Attention, students. This is Principal Weatherbee. I need Fangs Fogarty to my office immediately."

"Where is he?" Jughead frantically asked once the PA system cut out.

"I don't know." Toni answered, seeming just as frantic.

Clemintine took charge of the situation. "Find him before the Dark Circle does." She pulled her keys from her backpack. "Meet me out back. I'm going to hide him."

Jughead and Toni agreed, then parted ways.

Clemintine rushed out to her car. She started the engine and sped forward, driving towards the back of the school. Her heart pounded anxiously.

As she waited, her phone rang. "Did you find him?" She asked Jughead.

"They just arrested him."

"What?" Clemintine practically yelled.

"His switch fell out of his pocket in front of the cops. It keeps looking worse for him."

Clemintine hung up on Jughead. She smacked her hands against her steering wheel. She wanted to be done with the bullshit that was the town of Riverdale. In that moment, Clemintine made a vow that when she graduated, she was going to move to Greendale, or to Centerville. Anywhere that wasn't here.

🐍

On the weekend, after receiving the news from Jughead and Toni, Clemintine walked up to the Bulldogs on the football field. She quickly gained their attention. "You idiots slashed our tires?" Clemintine stared down the boys. "And set a dumpster on fire? Do you know how many Serpents want you dead? If you had gotten caught, they would have butchered you morons."

Reggie stepped forward to speak for his group of vigilantes. "It's about time you choose a side, Clemmie. It's them or us." He smirked down at her. He knew how much power that decision held. "Your longest friends, your brother, or the group that killed Midge? Let's not forget that she was your friend too."