T W E N T Y • F O U R

« Le noeud se resserre »

Carrie, The Musical, had found it's way to Riverdale High. All the students were excited. But, no one as much as Kevin Keller.

"Kev, calm down." Clemintine laughed as Kevin fumbled with the last chair. "Take a seat."

"I would be locked in an asylum if it weren't for you, my co-director." Kevin sighed as he sat down.

"That's just a nice way of calling me you assistant."

The cast arrived to the auditorium, all finding a seat upon the stage. Then, Kevin began. "Welcome to Carrie, The Musical." A chair screeched as Fangs moved closer to Kevin. "Okay. Next, introductions." Kevin looked at Archie.

Clemintine scribbled down notes, mostly as to who's-who, in her notebook.

"I'm Archie, I'm playing Tommy Ross. The boy next door."

"I'm Betty, I play Sue Snell. The good girl."

"Veronica Lodge, playing mean girl, Chris Hargensen."

Cheryl stood when it was her turn, showing off her arrogance. "I'm Cheryl Blossom, playing the iconic role of Carrie White."

Josie coughed as Cheryl sat back down. "Tone deaf."

"Who's playing your mom?" Betty asked. "Margaret White."

"I am." Clemintine rose her hand shyly.

"Uh, sorry." Chuck Clayton stepped onto the stage. "I thought rehearsals were in the music room."

"No problem." Kevin responded. "All are welcome here."

Chuck sat down between Fangs and Clemintine.

"Okay. Act one, scene one."

"Actually..." Cheryl was her normal interrupting self, and stood. "Before we begin... I've heard whisperings that some of you ensemble-vultures don't think I'm fit to play or sing. The role of Carrie White. So, to settle this matter once and for all... Maestro?"

"Okay, uh, Cheryl-" Kevin attempted to stop her. Unfortunately, once you got Cheryl going, there was no way of stopping her.

Cheryl began to sing a song from the show, silencing everyone.

"Uh, Cheryl-" Even Clemintine couldn't stop her.

When the redhead finally finished, everyone clapped, thus boosting her ego farther.

"Wow. I think I speak for everyone when I say that was undeniable, Cheryl." Kevin spoke. All he wanted was for her to sit down and stay quiet.

There was a sudden crack and a sandbag came flying down. Cheryl let out a scream, jumping back. The others let out a chorus of gasps.

🐍

Clemintine opened her locker and a note fell out. She caught it before it could hit the ground.

'You, me, date?' Clemintine's brows furrowed. She kept reading. 'Meet me at your car after rehearsal. I'll be waiting.'

"Who's that from?" Fangs asked.

"I have no idea." Clemintine crumpled the paper, throwing it away.

The blonde walked outside. The sun was barely shining and she wanted to get home and eat.

"Did you get my note?" Chuck stopped Clemintine.

She stares at him with wide eyes. "That was from you?"

"What do you say?" Chuck asked, a smirk on his face and his hands in his pockets.

For a moment, Clemintine thought of Sweet Pea.

"Maybe." Clemintine bit her lip. "I'll have to think about it."

"Okay." Chuck nodded. "I'll see you tomorrow, I guess?"

"Yeah." Clemintine smiled.

🐍

The cast sat in their usual circle, but this time, everyone's least favorite redhead was missing and Kevin was about to explain why. "Due to some unforeseen circumstances," Fangs placed his hand on Kevin's shoulder. Kevin gently pushed it away. "Cheryl will no longer be playing the role of Carrie White."

"What? Why?" The group asked.

"Let's just say that Penelope Blossom isn't much of a stage-mom." Kevin scoffed. He leaned towards Toni. "I think Cheryl's by the gym bleachers." Toni stood suddenly, taking her things as she made her exit.

Clemintine mentally made a note to ask about that later.

Kevin continued. "In the meantime, Cheryl's understudy will assume the role."

"Understudy?" Ethel asked.

"I appointed one after the sandbag incident. Midge Klump." The group applauded the grinning cheerleader.

The cast moved so that it was only Clemintine and Midge on the stage. The rest of them sat in the audience, watching and listening.

Clemintine ran up to Midge, grabbing her arm. "Stay here instead. Just tell me what you'd like to do." She sang to her friend. Clemintine moved around the brunette. "We'll talk and we'll laugh. And I'll sing to you. And I promise you we won't fight. Don't leave tonight." Clemintine held Midge's hands in hers.

"You don't know these people. They're not your friends. Carrie! They're only waiting to tear you in two."

"What if they like me?" Midge questioned.

Clemintine turned away, walking down stage. "Just like your father, they'll leave when they're through."

"They might like me!" Midge protested, as Carrie White. "They'll like me!"

Clemintine spun around to face Midge. "You're such a fool!" Clemintine took Midge's hand again. "Aren't you aware how people deceive? They'll take you. Carrie, Carrie. Carrie. My Carrie. We're one and the same. Don't go." She pulled Midge into a hug.

The cast clapped as the music faded.

"Why is it that I've never heard Clemintine Bartholdy sing in all my years of knowing her?" Jughead laughed. Clemintine blushed.

Kevin walked up the stage, a box of papers in his hands. A proud smile was on his face. "Guys, the programs are in, and they look amazing. He set the box down. The cast slowly crowded around the stage, taking a program from the box. "Make sure to get them signed on opening night."

Chuck walked up to Clemintine, gently placing his hand on her lower back. "So, have you thought about my note?" Chuck asked.

Clemintine laughed awkwardly. "To be honest, I haven't. I've been so busy with the musical and school."

"I get it." Chuck smiled kindly. "How about, after the performance, we go to Pop's and get some shakes? Not a date. Just a couple of cast mates."

"Okay." Clemintine answered. "I don't see the harm in that."

Chuck picked up Clemintine's right hand, placing a kiss on her knuckles. "I'll see you then."