T W O

«Corps Double»

That night Clemintine didn't sleep. She tried, but she wasn't used to sleeping in her own bed again. She had forgot how warm and safe her room was. She had taken these things for granted. Julian was just next door and both of her parents were around the corner, past the stairs. She felt safe for the first time in awhile, yet she still couldn't slip into a much needed slumber.

It was 5am when Clemintine heard her parents door close, signaling that one of her parents was headed to the kitchen to start their day with a cup of coffee. They had gotten up earlier than she remembered. She sat up in her bed, her eyes on the clock that sat on the wall opposite of her. Her parents door opened and closed again at exactly 5:59. When it was Julian's turn to exit his room, Clemintine glanced at the clock for a final time; 6:15. With a heavy sigh, the youngest Bartholdy stood from her bed. She crossed the hallway into the guest room to take a shower in there.

Once back into her room, the blonde slipped on her signature white jeans and matched it with a blouse that was the lightest shade of blue she owned. Tossing her freshly blow dried and brushed hair into a high ponytail and brushing her teeth, the girl managed to slip downstairs and out the front door undetected. Her old car sat in the driveway. She had missed this simple comfort most of all.

Since it was far too early to head to school, she made her way to Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe, desperate for an early morning milkshake.

The brakes of the white car let out a soft screech as she came to a stop just outside the front doors of the Shoppe. Clemintine smiled at the familiar ding of the bell above the door. Pop Tate did a double take as his eyes landed on the girl.

"I thought you had left us for good. Thought the hustle of New York swept you away." The older man was kind. Clemintine had been his favorite customer by far, reminding himself of his own daughter.

Clemintine slipped onto her usual stool at the counter. "I could never leave my favorite person behind. He makes the best food."

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Clemintine." Pop chuckled with a shake of his head. "But it will get you a free breakfast. As a welcome home."

"You're the best, Pop." The young student called out as the older man made his way to the kitchen.

As she waited, her phone rang in her back pocket. "Hello?" She pressed the cellular device to her ear, not bothering to check the caller ID.

"Where are you?" Julian's voice was calm. "I know you went to bed last night so how'd you slip out so fast?"

"I stopped by Pop's for breakfast. Want to start my first day of school off right." Clemintine picked at the loose thread that hung from one of the buttons on her blouse.

Julian chuckled. "Don't let dad hear you say that, he got up extra early to cook your favorite breakfast."

"Just tell them I left for school early, please."

"Will do. See you later sis." Julian's tongue clicked against the roof of his mouth.

"See ya." She ended the call just as Pop placed a plate of pancakes down, along with some bacon and a banana flavored milkshake. "You're a life saver." Clemintine smiled. Pop returned the gesture before disappearing back into the kitchen and letting the girl eat in peace. Clemintine went straight for the milkshake. She had only gone a year without one, but to her it felt like a lifetime and a half.