N I N E T E E N

« Maison du diable »

     A week had passed since their last interaction. They hadn't talked to each other since that day in the parking lot.

Currently, Clemintine was holding a flashlight as she followed Betty through the woods. "Every time you have to show me something, you end up scaring me. We need to hang out less."

"We're almost there, turn on the flashlight and don't scream."

Clemintine sighed. "That reassuring."

Betty stepped into the hollow cement sewer tube first, using her own flashlight.

"Betty, what the hell is going on?" Clemintine spotted the lump of fabric and twigs.

Betty lent down next to the lump and pulled back the edge of the carpet.

Clemintine jumped back, covering her mouth quickly after letting out a small squeak. "Elizabeth Copper." Clemintine punched her cousins arm. "What did you do?"

"It wasn't me." Betty lent down again. "It was Chic."

Before either blonde could continue, a loud shrill of a phone went off. The girls looked at each other in horror.

"Don't you dare." Clemintine warned.

Betty let out a heavy breath as she reached into his pocket to retrieve the dead man's phone. Every horror movie that Clemintine has seen, where the dead body pops back up, was playing through her mind.

"Betty, stop." She ignored her cousin and pulled the phone away from the man. "Idiot." Clemintine whispered. Betty shot her a glare. "What now, Betty?"

"I'll figure it out." Betty responded, putting the phone in her jacket pocket. Betty covered the man again with the carpet.

"We can't just leave him here, Betty." Clemintine protested. "We can get FP. He's hid a body before."

"And how well did that work out for him?" Betty rose a brow. "let's go."

Clemintine gave the now covered body a final glance, then followed her cousin back out, into the woods.

The blondes arrived to the Cooper's residence. "Hey honey. Perfect timing, we're about to have dinner." Alice smiled. Clemintine couldn't remember a time when she had seen her Aunt this happy, and it scared her that it was with Chic.

"Oh, no, I'm not hungry. Clemmie and I have a ton of homework." Betty started up the stairs, Clemintine following after her.

"Why'd you lock the door?" Clemintine asked. Betty took a seat at her desk, taking the phone from her pocket. "Don't tell me you're about to do another idiotic thing." Clemintine looked over her shoulder, watching Betty go through the man's contacts. "Really, Betty?" She sighed, slumping down on the bed. "You know what?" Clemintine stood back up. "I'm out. Call me when you're done with the corpse phone."

🐍

Clemintine gave Jughead a weird look as he approached Betty's house the same time as she did.

"Betty..." Jughead called out. This must be serious if Betty called her boyfriend and cousin. "What's going on?"

"What are you doing out here?" Clemintine put an arm around Betty, to protect her from the chilly night.

"I think I'm going crazy." Betty answered. "My mom' acting like everything's normal when... It's not. Everything's falling apart." Tears weld in Betty's eyes, causing them to glisten in the moonlight. Betty stood, taking Jughead's hands in hers. "I need to tell you something."