Chapter 9

"Lab's all set up boss," Maria says as she enters the jet.

She's so much hotter in person.

Like I don't know if you ever noticed, but her eyes are beautiful and that jawline is on point. Not only that, her skin is flawless and her hair is so shiny. I wish I was as pretty as Cobie, but I'm sadly not.

Maria Hill is definitely on my MCU bang list.

If you don't have one, I suggest you make it now.

"Actually, he's the boss," Tony says back.

"I just pay for everything, design everything, and make everyone look cooler," Stark's pettiness shows through his words.

"What's the word on Strucker?" Cap asks, approaching Cobie.

Heck, I mean Maria.

"Nato's got him," she answers with that firm voice.

"This is Natalie Carter. The woman I told you about. She is going to help with the Maximoff file," Steve introduces me.

"Right. Chick from another universe," she looks me up and down.

Woah, she looked at me.

"What do you have so far?" I ask trying to keep my mind on task.

Maria shows us the tablet in her hand and displays the file in process.

"Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins. Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building," Maria explains.

"Add the fact that they want revenge on Stark and the Avengers. They blame Stark for the death of their parents and will do anything to get rid of him," I say and she types away.

"What about Sokovia?" Steve asks.

"Sokovia's had a rough history. Nowhere special, but it's on the way to everywhere special," Maria sighs.

"Natalie, what exactly are their abilities?" Steve asks yet another question.

"Well, Pietro has increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is nero electric interfacing, telekinesis, and metal manipulation," I say as Hill did in the movie.

Steve gives me the same look that he gave Maria. Total confusion.

"Maria would you please dumb this down for the soldier?" I say and she laughs.

"He's fast and she's weird."

"Natalie, when they show up again, that's the chance to get them. Without them, you won't be able to travel between worlds," Steve adds as he opens the elevator.

"Yeah, I don't know if that's such a good idea anymore," I say, confidently.

Steve gives me a questioning look. We both get onto the lift and I wait for the doors to close before I give my explanation. No particular reason behind this. I have nothing to hide. I guess I just like the dramatic effect.

"If I get that technology, other people could, too. Plus, things here seem to work out okay and I don't really see the point behind it all besides my own wants and temptations," I say in a very firm voice.

It came out a lot ruder than I expected and Steve noticed. Thankfully, he ignored it and just continued with the conversation. I don't really want to get into my feelings right now. Even though this will end up leading to it.

"What makes you think you'll be tempted to use the breaches for your own use?"

Did I not call it? I totally saw my hatred for Steve's future actions get into this conversation.

"Because someone was given a mission with new technology and they used it for their own purposes," I try to keep things as vague as possible.

It still came out angry though.

Steve is starting to get nervous, confused, and irritated with my behavior. His fingers are twitching and he won't look at me anymore hinting at the nerves. He keeps shaking his head and mumbling suggesting that he is thinking. The irritation is detected through his words. Like me, I can't hide my anger very well.

"So you give up because of what one person did?" the soldier scoffs.

"I'm giving up because I don't want to make the same mistake he did. I learned from his mistake and I'd rather not repeat it," I snarl through my teeth.

The rest of the ride up the lift was silent. The second the doors opened, we headed into different directions even if it wasn't where we wanted to go. In fact, this is most definitely where I don't want to go.

I want to go to my little area that no one seems to sit in. It's quiet. Because that's the same direction Steve went, it's not an option. I'm petty like that. So, instead I go to Tony's lab and request that I would be given my own bedroom. I would be living here after all.

Heckers. I live here.

I don't have any belongings. I have no clothes, no phone, no wallet, no money. I have no identity.

"Hey, Tony, I need to ask you for a huge favor," I say while entering the lab.

In the process though, I enter the conversation that started it all. The need for Ultron.

"Uh yeah, can I talk to you in a minute? I'm dealing with something," Tony hesitates.

I sigh.

Does he really think I don't know what he's talking about?

"I won't interrupt or tell the team about Ultron. I have to let things run their course. Time wants to happen," I explain for the millionth time.

I just left out the part about me changing stuff later. He just needs to think that I'm letting this happen. For the most part at least.

"Right, you know everything," Tony remembers.

"What is it you need?"

"Well, I'm going to be living here now meaning I will need a room. And clothes. And a history. And a phone. And ya know, the basics," I shrug.

I only have what I brought with me from my mom's, but I don't know what happened to that bag, to be honest.

"Oh yeah, Jarvis! Get Natalie everything she needs. She deserves the best," Tony winks at me and I just roll my eyes.

Playboy.

I exit the lab and into the hall, I run into the one and only Steve Rogers.

I know I have to talk to him, and now live with him, but I really don't want to. It's so cliche to run into him too, but then again, I'm in a movie.

I just brush off the literal running into and walk away. I got pretty far, but of course, Steve doesn't like when he isn't liked or wanted and feels the need to make sure everyone is happy. It's who he is, so he grabbed my arm and prevented me from moving.

Except when, you know, he just left everyone behind despite their happiness.

"What is going on with you today? One day you were fine, but ever since we got on the quinjet, you seem off. I saw you talking to Clint. Did he say something?" Steve asks with genuine concern.

I remove his hand from my arm calmly. I take a deep breath and count to ten.

"I'm fine Steve. Clint didn't say anything. It's what I didn't say that's upsetting me," I try to say without giving away the future.

"The future. That's what's bothering you? Is it really that bad?" Steve asks, trying to show his fear.

That's right fear. You can see it in his eyes. Steve is terrified of the future because it's the unknown. After Steve got out of the ice, he realized that things have changed. It scared him because it was something he never would've imagined. He doesn't want to feel that again.

I guess that's why he went back.

Still doesn't make it a good decision though.

"You have no idea."