Chapter 27

The plane ride on the way back to New York is pretty quiet. Bucky just stares at me. It's kind of freaking me out honestly. I open up a door to a closet, which is extremely small, because I wanted to change my clothes. Romania was hot and smelly which rubbed off onto me. It's my last change of clothes, but I don't really care about that because I don't plan on changing again until I get back.

When I try to shut the door to the small room, it doesn't completely shut. I groan out loudly in frustration.

"There a problem?" Bucky asks, concerned.

"No, but I'm going to have to ask you to turn around," I sigh

Bucky looks at me with suspicion. He still doesn't move though. I extended my hand and made a twirl with my index finger indicating that I was serious. He huffed, but did as I had instructed. I turned around as well because I don't want to look at Bucky's nervous self as I change.

I feel more comfortable that way.

I pull my new clothing out of my bag and start to strip off my old clothes. I pull off my T-shirt and shove it into my bag. I slip on some deodorant now that I have the easy access. I pull off my jeans and slip on some leggings.

"What the hell are you-? Shit!" I hear Bucky yell out.

I turn around in just my leggings and bra and give him a look of disappointment. I really don't care that he saw me shirtless, but I figured I should be more considerate. I do have a boyfriend now.

"Dude, why did you turn around? I asked you to do one thing. You had one job," I sigh as Bucky's face goes bright red.

"I didn't think you were getting naked!" he says and turns back around covering his face.

"Bucky, it's fine, I promise," I laughed.

"Just don't tell Steve, he might get mad," I say and slip on a long sleeved shirt.

Bucky refuses to turn around to face me again and I just rolled my eyes.

"Bucky, it's not like you haven't seen a girl naked. What makes me so different? I was barely undressed!"

He doesn't respond.

"Whatever."

I go up into the cockpit and take a seat in the pilot's chair to nap. Or at least try. After about five minutes of me closing my eyes trying to sleep, I feel eyes burning through me. I turn around and see Bucky tense up under my glare.

"Oh my god! What is your problem?!" I shout at him.

"I just saw you without a shirt!" he shouts back.

"Okay, fine. What about before that? You seem to find me pretty interesting then," I point out.

He opens his mouth to answer, but then closes it. He ponders on my question for a moment, but never answers.

"I thought you would be more fun. The Bucky that I know is very different," I mumble.

He isn't that different. I am a new person, so I guess his behavior is understandable. I'm just used to happy Bucky from when he is with Steve.

"What did you say?"

"The Bucky that I'm used to is happier. That Bucky is more happy with Steve I guess," I sigh.

"That Bucky? How many are there?" he jokes.

"An infinite amount," I reply with complete seriousness.

Bucky looks at me. Not in disbelief. He's intrigued. I guess after everything he's been through, this isn't that weird.

"I'm not from this earth. I come from a place where you're not real. You're just a character in a book. My universe was lost though. I'm stuck here now," I shrug.

The thought of me losing my family is basically numb now. I just try to find the good things in life to get past my separation of me and my family.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I get to be with the guy of my literal dreams now," I joke trying to hold back tears.

"Yeah, but it's clearly not okay. You were ripped from your life. It's not fun. Trust me I get it," Bucky stands and walks over to me.

He sits on a box next to my chair and looks up at me.

"So, Steve is the guy of your dreams?" Bucky chuckles.

"Yeah. He's perfect. I love everything about him. His morals, honesty, courage, how he is willing to do the right thing even if everyone is telling him it's wrong. Steve is the guy I would go to for any of my problems. He was there for me when I found out that my universe was lost. I could cry on his shoulder and he could cry on mine. Plus, he's an amazing kisser," I say the last part in a joking manner.

"Is he now?" Bucky laughs.

"Oh, for sure."

Bucky and I share a smile and that's when I knew we were going to be best friends.

"Oh, heck!" I shout.

"What?" Bucky stands in full alert.

"I forgot to call Steve!"

I pull out my phone and dialed his number. Before I press the call button, I turn to Bucky.

"You're a surprise remember, so no talking," I say firmly.

I press call and the phone starts to ring. It rings once, twice, and a third time until he finally picks up.

"Hey!" I say happily.

"Hey. Are you on your way back?" Steve asked.

"You bet. I have your present. I'm excited for you to see it," I say hardly holding my cool.

"It better be worth you be away for so long," Steve groans.

"Oh, trust me. It will be," I say as I look over at Bucky.

"What have I missed?" I ask wondering where in the movie I'm at.

I don't really know the time tables in between each movie and how they overlap, okay? I just know the order.

"Well, Thor just left. He says that because the Vision can hold his hammer the mind stone is safe. Can you back him up on that?" Steve laughs.

"Well, it is safe with Vision, but I disagree with Thor's reasoning. A table could hold Mjolnir," I point out.

"That's what I thought," Steve laughed.

"Oh, also, I wanted to tell you that when you get back I wanted you to train with Vision, Sam, and the Maximoffs. Is that okay?" Steve suggested.

"Yeah, that sounds great, but can we delay that a few days? I want you to fully enjoy your gift. And I think some rest is needed," I smile.

"Is this gift really that amazing?"

"Yes. I know you'll love it. I do, however, have to get back to said gift. If you'll excuse me," I start the goodbyes.

"You'll be back soon right?"

"Yes, Steve I promise. Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Natalie."

I hang up the phone and slip it into my pocket.

Bucky continues his stare and I just shove his shoulders.

"You better get your staring habits to an end now before Steve gets any ideas," I joke.

The joking, happy Bucky emerges from his shell when he responds.

"As if I'm any sort of competition."