Chapter 22

I race to the church and when I got there I noticed the key is glowing.

Oh no.

"Tony, what happened?" I ask in that same nervous tone Tony did.

"I just tried to disarm it. It must have some sort of counteraction," he explains to me.

This is not good. This event is significant to the future. It's the reason the Accords are written. Zemo's revenge plot that splits up the Avengers. Tony's guilt from Ultron killing that boy Charlie that leads to signing the Accords. If a single person dies, that could all still happen.

My whole plan to prevent the future just failed.

"Okay, we need to get Thor, Wanda, and Pietro here quick. The rest of you need to keep those robots away from the city. We all need to pray that Fury gets here in time," I speak to the team over coms.

"It's a good thing I did," Nick says.

Always one for perfect timing

Pietro and Wanda show up and look at me for orders and we all wait for Thor who arrives shortly after.

"Okay, Wanda this city is about to sly, so you need to stay grounded and stop any rock from hitting the people. Pietro needs to get every living soul off this rock as quick as possible. As soon as we're in the air, load them onto the escape pods to the helicarrier. Tony, you and Thor worry about getting the city down without killing anyone," I say.

"Steve any words of wisdom?' I smirk, hoping he says what I think he says.

"Yeah. You get hurt, hurt 'em beck. You get killed, walk it off."

"Thank you!" I smile.

"Natalie?" Steve asks over coms and I switch it to private.

"Yes, Captain?"

"Don't die."

"You know, Cap, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you actually cared about me," I smirk.

"It's a good thing you know better."

I go with Pietro to load the last couple of people if the city that is about to fly into the sky. Wanda catches any rocks or rubble and sets it down onto the ground. The city gets higher and I know that Wanda won't be able to catch everything.

People are going to die.

"Wanda! Get everyone on the ground moving! You won't be able to catch everything!" I yell.

"I have a better idea."

I look down at the ground and see Wanda put up a small field of energy around the people. As the cars move, she moves.

"Well, that was a pretty good idea."

"Fury, can we get those escape pods coming?" I ask.

"On their way, Carter."

I'm only just realizing that I have been giving orders this whole time. I always felt scared to take charge, but now I like being in control. It's the only way I know things won't go to shit.

"Steve how we looking on those robots?" I ask as I gather people to wait at a loading station.

"Almost extinct now that it's our only focus," he replies.

"Good."

Holy crap. It's just Tony, Thor, Pietro and I on this rock.

That's not terrifying at all.

Good thing it didn't last much longer.

The escape pods arrive like angels and Pietro looks in awe.

"This is SHIELD?" he asks me.

"This is what SHIELD was supposed to be," I answer thinking about how Coulson was the one really behind all this.

"Hey, Rhodey? You're here right?" I ask hoping they put him into coms.

"Yeah, what's up?"

I look over the edge of the flying city. I see all the large boulders that are falling to the ground. They are crushing a lot of ground and what could end up being some people.

"You think you can turn those boulders into pebbles?"

"You got it," he answered.

"Thor, he could use a hand."

"On it," Thor understood.

What exactly did Thor and Tony do in the movie? Thor hit the vibranium and Tony blasted the other end, destroying the city. Something like that. If we got everyone off the city before it gets too high, Tony and Thor could destroy the city before it hits the ground and Rhodey, Wanda, and Vision could be damage control.

That could work.

"Tony, I have an idea, but first can you do a scan of the city to see if anyone isn't at a load station?" I ask.

"Yeah, Friday run it," Tony sighs over communications.

I continue to load the last of the people at this station while I wait for an answer. I get back on the bike that I'm borrowing, not really, and go to another station to load.

"All clear," Tony reports.

"Okay, good. As soon as the last person leaves, Get to the bottom of the city. Blast that thing to hell. Thor needs to -"

"Thor has to hit the vibranium at the right time to create the power for a heat seal. It will blow the city to pieces," Tony finishes for me.

"Exactly. Wanda, Rhodes, and Vision will be on damage control. Make sure every piece of rock gets a lot smaller before it hits the ground. Once the city is down, we all move back to the base and help the rest of the team with the last of Ultron."

"I guess I'll see you in a minute," Nat says over coms.

My heart breaks all over again. Hearing those words is like a bullet to the brain.

"Yeah," is the only thing I manage to get out.

"Let's get this plan into action."

I see Pietro in the distance at the next station. The last station. I'm almost done here and he looks absolutely beat. All that running really must get annoying I guess.

I finish loading up my station and I boarded it in order to get to the helicarrier. I don't really want to get blasted to bits.

"Pietro, meet me on the helicarrier, okay? We'll take a plane down to the base," I say.

"Alright."

I look over at the last station and see that it's taking off.

"Alright, Tony, we're all clear," I inform the billionaire.

"Alright Thor, you ready?" Tony asks.

"More than ever," Thor replies.

A bright light is blasted from the bottom of the city and I can instantly tell it's Tony. Thunder roars throughout the sky. Lighting forms and strikes the center of the city where the church is.

The city starts to crumble and I look down at the ground. Wanda is blasting rock and putting it safely on the ground. Vision turns rock to ash and Rhodey did exactly what I had asked. He turned boulders into pebbles.

"Pietro, it's time to get on a plane," I say.

"On my way to you," he says back.

It was then when I realized I have no idea how to fly a plane. I panic as I look around and see and agent near a plane and I'm just hoping she's not over there for show.

"You know how to fly this thing?" I ask the female agent.

"Yeah. You need a ride?"

Pietro runs up next to me and the agent looks between the two of us.

"Yes, we do."