Chapter 28

Bucky and I arrive back at the tower and I can feel my nerves overcome my excitement. I feel like for so reason he might not like that I brought Bucky back. Maybe he wanted to give Bucky more times, or even himself more time. What if Steve wanted to find Bucky himself.

The other part of me just really wants to see these best friends reunite in a safe place when they aren't being chased. I want to give them that moment.

"Okay, so I'm going to talk to Steve and then bring him to the jet. I want you to stay here. I want you guys to be able to have this moment in peace. Is that okay?" I explain my plan to Bucky.

He looks more nervous than me. His serious soldier self is trying to hide it, but as I said a million times now, I know them and how to read them.

His metal arm hangs from his body not moving a single bit. His fleshed hand twitches ever so subtly. Sweat forms at his brow. Not from heat because he would've been sweating this whole time. His eyes are thin and he blinks often. Bucky's lips are also in a thin line as if he doesn't know what to say.

You wouldn't notice any of this it was so subtle, but I have a habit of paying attention.

"Bucky, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask?" Bucky says calmly.

"Because you didn't answer my question from before. Is my plan good or would you rather do something else?"

"No, no that's fine. Thank you," he says sincerely.

"For what?" I ask confused.

"For helping me realize that this is where I need to be. I don't need to run. I don't need to run, right?"

"No, people are looking for the Winter Soldier. I have a way of making them realize that the Winter Soldier is gone. Only Bucky Barnes is left," I smile at him.

Bucky walks up to me, but he stopped when he is about 3 inches away. I could feel his breath on my face and I got nervous because I didn't know what he was going to do.

The next thing I knew his arms were wrapped around me. Even though he has a metal limb, it was a warm embrace. I felt happy to know that he appreciated what I had done for him and Steve and it calmed my nerves.

"Thank you. You and Steve are the only ones who seem to believe in me," he whispered.

"Not for long."

I exit the jet and head into the tower. The second I came in from the landing pad I was attacked.

By Steve.

With a kiss.

It surprised me, but I kissed him back. He picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his small waist. Steve spun me around still holding the kiss. When Steve put me down, I pulled away with his bottom lip in between my teeth.

"Well, hi there," I smiled.

"Hey, gorgeous."

"Glad to see that you two are no longer being petty," Tony says as he enters the room.

"Me too," I say and peck Steve's lips.

Steve grabs my hand and starts to pull me towards the hall. I pull back and Steve looks at me confused.

"Your present is waiting," I smile.

"Wait, you left town for days just to get Steve a present? Where's my present?" Tony scoffs.

"Correction. I left the country for days to get Steve a present. And as for your present, it doesn't exist," I state.

"How rude," Tony mumbles.

"Let's go get your present. It's waiting patiently for you," I pull on his arm.

"You say that as if it has feelings," Steve rolls his eyes as he follows me.

"Because he does, Rogers," I smirk.

"Wait. Did you get me a dog? Does future me have a dog?" Steve says hopefully.

"No, future you doesn't have a dog. However, past present, and future you has a best friend," I smile softly as we approach the ramp.

"Natalie did you - " Steve smile drops as his words fade off when I nod my head.

"You've waited long enough. I wanted things to speed up," I explain and Steve runs up the ramp.

I follow behind him and the two friends come face to face. Steve starts to tear up looking at his completely sane best friend.

"Are you - "

"Going to kill you? Maybe, but only because you had to go off and do something stupid," Bucky cuts Steve off with a joke.

"How could I? You took all the stupid with you."

The two embrace in a long hug filled with laughs and tears of joy along with some tears of sorrow.

"Are you okay? Natalie, she told me about what they did to you. I had no idea," Steve says as they break away.

"Can we just cut the dumb pity party? I'm fine I promise. No winter soldier anymore. Right, Natalie?" Bucky asks.

My smile fades as I prepare to tell them that there is a chance that the Winter Soldier could emerge again.

"Well, the book is still out there. When we get that and destroy it, you'll be mostly free. I hope you don't mind, but we should probably visit another country. They have the technology to get rid of anything the HYDRA put in you. That can wait until after you guys catch up though."

I start to walk out of the jet and back into the tower before Steve said one last thing.

"Thank you."

"I am pretty awesome aren't I?" I look over my shoulder to the smiles on their dumb faces.

"She's good for you," I hear Bucky say to Steve.

"Sometimes I think a little too good," Steve replies.

Oh, Steve. If only you knew how perfect you are.

~~~~~~

It's been a few days since I got back. Tony said that the only reason they haven't moved to the compound yet was because they were waiting for me to get back. I guess they felt uncomfortable looking through my things. And by they I mean Steve.

Tony said he would be more than willing, but Steve said no.

Thanks, Steve.

Well, I finished packing and sending my belongings over to the compound. I was on my way over and I decided that before I went to my new room to relax, I would go check on Bucky.

He's new to all this and I bet he's a little overwhelmed.

"Hey," I say quietly as I enter his room.

There isn't much in it. Just a typical room without much personal touch.

Bucky looks over at me from where he was doing push up on the ground.

"Hey," he smiled and got off the ground.

"I think you and Rogers have a habit of working out all the time. it's frustrating," I joke.

"Any reason it's so frustrating?" Bucky smirks already knowing the answer.

"For someone who gets nervous when seeing a girl shirtless, I'm surprised you asked such an inappropriate question," I reply with a laugh.

"I did not get nervous. I was - "

"Flustered?"

"Surprised," he argues.

"Right. Well, James, if we are going to be friends, you have to get to know me. Fact number one: I tend not to let things go," I smile.

"Oh, joy."