Chapter 21

When we arrive at the base, everyone gets to their stations. The Avengers, minus Tony, get ready to storm into the building. Wanda works on putting up a force field around the base. Tony flies off to the church and Pietro takes me on a run to the city.

"Pietro, go to the police station," I tell him and he picks me up and carries me over there.

When we get there, the police pay no attention to us. I look at Pietro asking him to get their attention for me.

"Everyone, listen up!" he yells.

"The city is in danger! We need to get everyone out! Spread the word through phones, televisions, radios. I want evacuation protocols to be made. We everyone out to a safe location!" I command and they still don't move.

"Why the hell should we listen to you?" the guy at the front desk asks.

I gesture to my shoulder and show him the symbol on my new suit.

"I'm an Avenger. Now get going!" I yell the last command and they all, as Pietro would've put it, got off their asses.

"Tony, how's that key looking?" I ask over coms.

"See that's the thing, I don't exactly know what I'm looking for here," Tony replies.

"It's a device. It's probably still underground. It shouldn't be ready, but that doesn't matter. You have to destroy it," I tell him.

"Steve? How are things over there?" I ask with worry.

"Well, we're eliminating most of the target so far, so I'd say things are pretty good," Steve says somewhat breathless.

"Wanda how you doing?"

"I can't get it big enough, but I'm keeping them contained," she responds.

"That'll have to do."

Pietro and I need to organize an escape route while the police get everyone out of their houses. We already have a mob of people in cars, on foot, on bikes, going towards the bridge.

"Alright Pietro, let's get to work."

Pietro runs us over to the bridge, the main exit of the city. It's in the opposite direction of the base, so we shouldn't be running into anyone.

"Alright kid, we need an officer leading the evacuation. You think you can get one over here?" I ask and he nods before running off.

He returns seconds later with an officer.

"Hello, officer. You will be driving a car and leading everyone to a safe spot. You think you can do that?" I ask.

He nods.

I walk him over to the car that is in front of the mob. I knock on the window and the man in the driver's seat rolls down his window.

"Alright sir, this officer will be driving your car if you don't mind. Feel free to move to the passenger's seat," I say and direct to the empty seat.

That's when I got an idea. We'll check every car for open space and pack every person on foot into them. We need people to get out as fast as possible.

"Alright everyone, listen up!" I say and shoot my gun in the air to ensure silence.

Everyone looks at me and remains quiet.

"Okay! Everyone follows this car out of the city! If you're on foot find an empty seat in a vehicle and get going. Do you understand?" I yell out.

Everyone on foot starts to ask before to enter their cars. The leading car starts to move and people follow in a single line, unlike the chaotic mob they were just in.

I'll take that as a yes.

Speaking of a fast exit, I think I need to get into contact with Nick Fury and Maria Hill.

Thank god I had the courage to ask for her number.

I click on her contact while Pietro quickly loads people into cars and buses. Maria picks up instantly.

"How are things in the city?" Maria asks immediately.

"Uh, great, we are getting everyone out safely. None of Ultron's little friends have managed to get past Wanda," I explain.

"That's good. What do you need?" she asks, getting to the reason I called.

"You and Nick are going to be here soon right? People are getting out, but I don't want to risk any lives and it's slow going, even with a speedster," I explain.

"Helicarrier is inbound. We also have more evacuation cars coming along with it."

"Great. Send the cars to the bridge and as for the helicarrier, go to the back of the city to get civilians. That way we have more exits," I tell her.

"You got it."

"Pietro!" I yell before he runs off again.

"Yes?"

"Do runs through the buildings. See if anyone isn't getting out or trying and get them here," I say, firmly.

He nods and runs off.

As I continue to load people into vehicles, I see a little lost looking for her mother. She's crying as she just stands there completely alone.

"Officer!" I shout to get one of the policeman's attention.

"Take my station. Check for empty seats and pack every car with people. No one should leave this city unless they're in some sort of vehicle," I state and he walks over to where I was standing to take my place.

I run over to the little girl. She looks about six or seven years old. Tears run down her face as she looks around for a familiar face within all the chaos.

"Hey, what's your name?" I get down in front of the girl.

"Mileah," she replies with her Sokovian accent.

"Alright Mileah, we're going to get you out of here okay," I smile and take her hand.

"What about my mommy?" she asks me while tears still flow down her eyes, but the sobbing stopped.

"We're taking everyone to the same place and we can find her when we get there okay?"

She nods and I stand up off the ground. We start to walk towards the cars. We reach the front of the line and I pack her into the car upfront.

I nod at the officer that took my place and let him continue. I noticed someone on a motorcycle and I approach him.

"Hey, would you mind if I borrowed this and you get on a bus?" I ask, but it was rhetorical.

He sighs and gets off the back and heads to the pack of people of foot waiting to get into a car.

I mount the bike and start to head deeper into the city to help Pietro make some rounds.

"Pietro, how are things looking?" I ask over coms.

"Everyone is moving out. We could use a little help getting people out faster though," he replies.

"It's a good thing they're on their way," I sigh.

"Uh, Natalie, could you give me a hand?" Tony asks me.

He seems nervous. Nervous is not a good thing when it comes to Tony Stark.

"On my way."