Chapter 17

I just stared at him. I didn't know what to say. I don't know what that means. What was the dream about? What did he see? Does he have feelings for me or does he just care?

"Please, say something, Natalie," Steve begs.

"What was the dream about?" I ask.

I want to know more information before I fall head over heels in love with him. Not that I wasn't before I moved here, but this is real now. All of my dumb teenage fantasies were just that; fantasies.

"I broke my promise. I broke my promise and I left. I didn't go back to Peggy though. I don't know why I left, but when I came back you weren't there. Tony said that you left because you would never forgive me. I felt empty and broken and I realized that I never want to hurt you. I want to forever be by your side," Steve described his dream that Wanda gave him.

He had a panicked look. His voice was silent, but his breaths were heavy and very apparent.

"Hey, hey. Steve, look at me," I say and take his shaky hands.

"Take a deep breath," I direct as I demonstrate the body motions as I inhale deeply.

"Tell me what's wrong."

"I don't know. I'm confused. What does that mean? Why is that what Wanda showed me?" Steve asked me.

"She was trying to break you. She showed you your greatest fear. Being alone," I answer his questions.

Steve shook his head and took my hand in his.

"Except, I don't think I'm afraid of being alone. I've been alone before. I think I'm afraid of losing you," Steve said as his sparkly blue eyes looked into mine.

I don't know what to say. I'm speechless. Not because I'm happy though. I'm speechless because I'm anxious. I'm scared.

"Steve I - "

"You don't have to say anything, but I need to get this out," he says and I nod.

"Ever since you got here I was drawn to you. Not because of your name, but because of who you are. I think you're amazing, strong, brave, beautiful, and absolutely perfect. The only flaw I seem to find is that you're incredibly stubborn and have a bad habit of holding grudges," he jokes and we both laugh.

"I really, really like you. I might even be falling in love with you. I'm terrified. I know you probably don't feel the same. You've had plenty of people to obsess over, so I doubt any of them was me - " he says, but I cut him off.

"You're right. I obsessed about Bucky," I joke and he just glares at me.

"I can't tell if you're kidding or not," he says nervously.

"I'm not. I did obsess about Bucky. I seem to always like super soldiers. Including you Rogers," I state and playfully shoved his shoulder.

"Really?" he asks hopefully.

Oh, he has no idea. I had a literal shrine in my bedroom when I was 15. I had pictures, movie tickets, and I even had a replica of his old shield from 1945. it was a serious problem.

He doesn't need to know that though.

"Yeah, but I don't want you getting all sappy on me. I'm no romantic and I'm not much of a relationship person," I point my finger and his stupid smile.

"What does this mean then?"

"I'm not sure. We like each other, but that doesn't mean relationship, marriage, and I'm popping babies like pills," I say completely serious, but Steve laughs.

"What I mean to say is, I want to wait until I figure out my life here," I say with a hint of sorrow in my voice.

"I understand. I do have a chance though right?" Steve asks.

Wow, this old man really likes me.

That's kind of crazy to think about, but also...sksk.

"Of course soldier."

I stand and place a kiss on the blonde's cheek. His cheeks flush a bright shade of pink, but he quickly stands up and tries to act like his normal, professional self. He walks out of the room, but he stops before opening the door.

Steve looks back at me. His eyes stay on mine for a second or two, but they eventually wander down to my lips and then farther. I can feel myself become a little uneasy and my knees grow weak,

Steve freaking Rogers just checked me out and he didn't even try to hide it.

I'm internally screaming.

I'm curious though. I look at him and I realize that I could make all of my dreams come true right here and now. I want to know now if I actually feel something for this dork or if it's just lust and fantasy. I want to know now before I lead both of us on and we both end up getting hurt.

And I think I know how to do that.

"Steve, I have made it clear that I don't want to start anything until I know for sure right?" I ask before I do something I'll regret.

"Very."

"Okay, so if I ask you to do something, you'll know that it means something, but you can't look into it right?"

"Natalie, what are you getting at?" Steve asks.

"Kiss me."

He seems a bit taken aback, but without any sort of hesitation, Steve walks up to me. He wrapped one hand around my waist and the other goes in my hair. My hand wrapped around his neck. He hovers over me for a second. His eyes flicker down to my lips and he leans in.

Please note that this all happened in like two seconds.

The second Steve's lips touch mine, I can feel my heart burst. I would've collapsed if Steve wasn't holding me up.

He tasted absolutely perfect. Just how I imagined. His lips moved with mine as if we've done it a million times before. Like it was meant to be.

Cliche, I know.

The kiss lasted for what seemed like forever, but it never went further than that. No tongue, no lust. It was a sweet, calm first kiss; perfect.

When we parted, I slowly opened my eyes and looked up at Steve. He opens his eyes a few seconds after I did and he just looks at me. It's different this time. It's not a glare, a nervous glance, or a stupid smile.

This look made my heart skip a beat. It made me swoon. It was two looks mixed into one.It was a look of care and devotion and it was a look of lust.

God, could he be any more perfect?

Probably not.